Prevent spread of flu

By Liz Carlston

Late last week, NBC correspondent Chuck Todd honked a sneeze heard round the world during a White House briefing. Because he forgot to cover his mouth, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius scolded Todd and quipped, “Who’s got some Purell? Give that to Mr. Todd right away. Elmo knows how to sneeze.” (Elmo promotes sneezing into one of your arms to limit the spread of germs.)

Although the incident sparked giggles and a few YouTube videos, it is no laughing matter.

Flu season is just around the corner and the H1N1 virus is looming with the coming winter months.

Since the virus was uncovered in Mexico in April, the United States has confirmed more than 600 swine-flu related deaths and federal officials are particularly concerned about the virus on college campuses. Five cases have been confirmed at the U.

During a conference call Friday, the Department of Education said the threat is being taken seriously and, disproportionately, the target population is people under the age of 25. Universities are a hotbed for the virus because it typically affects younger people8212;especially considering the proximity of students to one another.

Doctors recommend that you isolate yourself and seek treatment if you experience any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, dizzy spells, sore throat, vomiting, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. The standard flu preventative measures still apply, such as washing your hands, wiping off surfaces that are touched by a lot of different people and staying away from others if you are sick.

The Federal Drug Association approved a vaccine for the H1N1 virus that will be administered in the form of a free flu shot in mid-October. Although it is certainly good sense to become educated about the H1N1 virus, panicking will do no good. Instead, it’s best to become educated to the symptoms, seek treatment if you’re affected and most importantly, take preventative action.

People older than 55 should have already built up immunity from a similar strain in the 1970s. Experts say young people with underlying illnesses are particularly vulnerable to the virus. That vulnerability will increase if you come down with the flu and then the H1N1 virus. Do yourself and those around you a favor by getting your flu shot this year as well as the vaccine for the H1N1 virus. Plus, if you get sick, don’t come to class and share it with everyone else.