Cold weather shocks newcomers

By Rita Totten

International students studying at the U cite weather as the biggest difference they have experienced.

Sultan Almubarak, a junior in business finance from Saudi Arabia, said until he began studying in Utah, he had never seen snow.

“It was a great thing,” Almubarak said. “I really love it.” He said Utah’s mountains and the views they offer are why he enjoys studying here. “It makes me want to stay in Utah all the time.”

As far as the religious aspect goes, Almubarak said he doesn’t mind the predominance of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City.
“Everyone has their own mind,” Almubarak said.

Almubarak said his father, who was studying for a master’s in health care administration, described Utah to Almubarak over the phone and encouraged him to study in Utah.
“My father convinced me to come here,” Almubarak said.

Naser Almansoori, a sophomore in business, came to Utah from United Arab Emirates and, like Almubarak, said the cold was a shock from the normally humid temperatures he experienced in of Dubai, where winter temperatures rarely drop below 60 degrees.

Almansoori also chose Utah because of the financial program. He said the best thing about being in Utah is the experience of a new country and a new language.

Almansoori said the hours of businesses are hard to understand.

“At home, I can be in coffee shops till 2 or 3 in the morning,” Almansoori said. “Here, everything closes early.”