Alcohol a factor in 1 of 16 Pi Kappa Alpha violations

By Rita Totten

Despite being put on probation, meaning the house cannot have alcohol in it, only one of the 16 incidents at the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house was related to alcohol.

In the official notification of probation from the U administration, Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity was cited for 16 violations. The fraternity was found responsible for violations of Greek Council policy, Student Code, Salt Lake City Zoning Ordinance and state law at a hearing Sept. 18. But the only alcohol violation occurred July 12, when an individual was “vomiting in the alleyway.”

“It’s a little strange that the frat was asked to go dry when, of the 16 violations, only one involved alcohol,” said Pi Kappa Alpha President Madson Thompson.

Aside from that, noise disturbances were reported May 9, 12, 16 and 20, because of “music blaring from windows and individuals on roof shouting and yelling,” according to the probation notification letter.

A violation of trash and unkempt property was reported May 27 as a result of “trash, beer cans, and refuse in front of chapter,” as well as “clothing and chairs on roof.”

An incident of public urination two days later prompted a violation when an individual was seen “urinating in public alley,” according to the notification.

Trash, beer cans and refuse on the fraternity’s property, public alley and neighboring properties were reported the day after the public urination incident.

The fraternity now has the option to appeal the decision to the vice president of student affairs, Barb Snyder, but Thompson said the chapter was unsure if they would pursue that avenue.

Since school began, the fraternity has had only one noise complaint, which was not included in the 16 violations used to place the house on probation. Thompson said the chapter operates differently during the summer months when school is not in session. Because members are gone, fewer chapter officers are present on the property, Thompson said.

“The U should recognize that fraternities function differently during the summer,” Thompson said.

The Dean of Students Office stated that since the chapter had been placed on probation in the spring of 2009 because of incidences in the fall of 2008, the fraternity was displaying a pattern of violations that “jeopardize the health and safety of members, guests and neighbors,” according to the probation notification.

As part of its terms of probation, Pi Kappa Alpha must submit to regular inspection of its property and common areas by authorized university personnel upon request.

Jay Wilgus, assistant dean of students, said the U Police Department will most likely be the authorized personnel conducting the searches. Wilgus said the details regarding the frequency of the searches is still being worked out between the dean’s office and the fraternity.

The fraternity will be given notice of impending searches, but for obvious reasons, not too much notice, Wilgus said.

“It’s probably going to be a knock on the door,” he said.