Tower Theatre to keep the show rolling despite broken projector

By Evan Frank

Unfortunate news struck the Tower Theatre when it was discovered that its digital projector shorted out during a screening of “Afghan Star.”

This news comes at the same time that the Tower’s Reel Rock Film Tour will kick off today.
But as the saying goes, “the show must go on.”

The Tower is now renting a digital projector, which will be used during Reel Rock.
“Current budget is $11,500 for the projector plus a few hundred for the Blue Ray deck and bulbs,” said Tori Baker, executive director of the Salt Lake Film Society.

According to Baker, the Tower Theatre is trying to raise the $8,500 for a new projector. The Tower has created a page on Facebook to help support its cause.

Technology has made vast improvements since the theater bought its projector in 2000.
According to the Tower Theatre’s Cause application on Facebook, the lumens, or strength of light power, were based on one chip and were not very bright. A new projector has the potential to have “festival-quality projection.”

So far, the Facebook Cause has 184 members and $2,315 has been donated.

“In the event that we would not be able to project digitally, our product would suffer and, of course, our service to the community for such tours as Reel Rock,” Baker said.

Reel Rock will screen climbing and adventure films. Along with the films are appearances by top climbers, gear giveaways and fundraisers for nonprofit organizations.

Tower of terror

The oldest movie theater in the Salt Lake Valley is also home to midnight movies.
Friday marks the return of the Tower of Terror. This event lasts the entire month and screens classic horror movies at midnight.

This event is not threatened by the broken projector because during the midnight movies, the theater uses a 35 mm print, and those projectors are up and running.
The first film of the midnight movies set will be Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining,” starring actor Jack Nicholson.

“Evil Dead II” is slated to be screened starting Oct. 9.

riller” and “Shaun of the Dead” will highlight the first night of the zombie weekend starting Oct. 16. “Thriller” and “Return of the Living Dead” will cap off the zombie weekend the following night.

On Oct. 23, the 1973 Best Picture nominee “The Exorcist” will be shown.
“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” will conclude the month’s Tower of Terror, starting Oct. 29.

The films run for the entire weekend.

photo courtesy reel rock tour

Despite recent hardships, the Tower Theatre?s Reel Rock Film Tour is set to begin Sept. 30 and will feature climbing and adventure films.