Men finish 6th in California tournament

By Bryan Chouinard

A week after ending an eight-year winless streak, the U men’s golf team cracked the top 10 for the third week in a row after finishing sixth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate.

The Utes played 36 holes Monday at the Classic Club in Palm Desert, Calif., and after the first two rounds of play, they sat in eighth place behind back-to-back rounds of 71 by junior Derek Adams. After the first two rounds, the team sat at 13 over par after shooting a team score of 592.

The Utes wrapped up the tournament with a final round of 295 to finish 23 over par as a team. Adams continued his solid play Tuesday, shooting an even-par 72 to finish 2-under for the tournament, good enough for fourth place in the individual competition. Adams was the only Ute to finish under par, with his closest competitor on the team being junior Mike Branca, who finished 7 over par. The Utes finished 15 strokes behind Santa Clara University, which captured the team title with an 8 over par 872.

The Utes will have a weekend off from competition this week before traveling to St. George for the Utah Collegiate Shootout on Oct. 17.