Wide leads Utes over Air Force

By Liz Frome , Staff Writer

In another hard-fought battle against a Mountain West Conference opponent, Utah running back Eddie Wide pulled out numbers that have become expected from coaches and fans in recent games.

The junior took on a heavy load of Utah’s carries when senior running back Matt Asiata left the Louisville game with a season-ending knee injury. Since the team’s loss, Wide has become the heart and soul of Utah’s running game.

Wide has accrued more than 100 yards in each of the past four games and ended the night Saturday with 121 yards on 17 carries, averaging more than 7 yards per carry. The consistent performance came despite struggles throughout the rest of the offensive scheme, including a slow first half and six fumbles scattered throughout the game.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham said holding onto the ball has been his point of focus in the past few weeks of practice, as Utah had accumulated 16 fumbles during the course of the season before Saturday night’s game.

“We know we have to improve our turnover margin, and if we do that, we will be more productive on offense,” Whittingham said. “We have to keep working to improve.”

The Utes started the night on the wrong foot offensively when, during their opening drive, quarterback Terrance Cain let the ball slip out of his grasp.

There to recover for the Utes was Wide. Quickly picking up the ball and opening his speed, Wide ran the 44 yards to the goal line and put Utah on the scoreboard.

Cain struggled to get the rest of the offense rolling after Wide’s touchdown and fumbled again later in the first quarter. Cain recovered the fumble, but the Utes’ struggles weren’t over. Wide receiver Luke Matthews lost a dropped ball to Air Force when a kickoff went right through his hands, tallying the Utes’ third fumble in just one quarter.

Cold, rainy weather and a scrappy Air Force defense put a damper on the majority of Utah’s first 15 minutes of offense, but Wide proved ready for the Falcon’s pressure, accumulating 65 of his yards and a touchdown before the start of the second quarter.

The Utes looked like they might be in for a longer night than usual when Wide suffered an ankle sprain and left the field in the second quarter.

Wide said the injury did not deter his determination to help his team get the win.

“I had to convince the trainers and coaches (to let me come back) by sprinting and cutting,” Wide said. “I hate sitting on the sideline, so I really wanted to get out there.”

In a usual Utah-Air Force grinding, back-and-forth battle, Wide returned to the field in the third quarter and continued to dig for yards throughout the rest of the game.

Utah was awarded possession going into overtime with the score tied at 16 and fought its way to the 1-yard line, putting the ball in the hands of the person who had come through all night.

Facing one of the toughest defenses of the Utes’ schedule, Wide carried the ball over the goal line and sealed Utah’s 23-16 victory over the Falcons.

“The offensive line got a great push, and we were able to hammer the ball in the end zone,” Wide said.

Wide’s second touchdown of the night kept the Utes’ goal of a MWC championship within reach.

Lennie Mahler/The Daily Utah Chronicle

Eddie Wide left the game in the second quarter with and ankle sprain. Wide returned and scored his second touchdown of the game, giving Utah the lead in overtime.