A Sordid History

By Mike McFall

The U is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In the past 35 years, the campus has had at least seven close ties to killers.

Take the U Health Sciences for example: Twice, prisoners admitted as patients have been accused of killing the guard who was watching them and fleeing from the University Hospital. Not to mention the first man executed on death row with Supreme Court approval, serial killer Gary Gilmore, was a frequent patient of the U Hospital.

The renovated health center isn’t the only building on campus that has a history of evil. Ted “The Unabomber” Kaczynski tried to blow up a classroom in Milton Bennion Hall. The U Police Department believes the antique paper that the convicted conman and killer Mark Hoffman used for his forgeries was most likely ripped from the Marriott Library antiques collection.

But on rare occasion, the killers were students. Ted Bundy, the man who is suspected of killing at least 16 people, studied law at the U in his spare time. And only a few years ago, Mark Hacking, a former U student and technician at the U Neuropsychiatric Institute, was found guilty of killing his pregnant wife.

The U bleeds red8212;sometimes, all too literally.