Students working more to pay for increasing tuition

By Jamie Bowen

Alexis Hardy said she didn’t know what to do after her scholarship ended, making it tough for her to pay for school last Spring Semester.

With this year’s budget cuts making the U administration raise tuition by 9 percent and the economy still in a recession, many students such as Hardy, a junior in exercise and sport science, are having trouble affording tuition and are looking for new ways to pay for it.

Many students have chosen to work full-time or at two or more jobs. Hardy said she received a promotion from her work at the U purchasing office when she found out that if she worked 30 hours a week, tuition would be cut in half.

Austin Dombrosky, a sophomore in history, said he works two jobs so he can pay for school. He works 35 to 40 hours a week at Batteries Plus and 10 hours as a peer adviser for the LEAP Program.

“It definitely takes a toll,” he said. “Late night studying and lots of coffee…it’s really hard.”

Miguel Silva, a senior in health education, said he works 45 hours a week at two jobs to help pay for school and support a family. On top of that, he has to do 10 hours of research a week for his major and is taking 18 credit hours this semester.

“It’s way stressful, and it is tough, obviously,” he said.

Amanda Kirk, a senior in human development, has worked every year she has been in college, but she also receives tuition benefits, which are necessary for her to be able to go to school.

“I wouldn’t be able to take classes without the tuition reduction,” she said. “If I didn’t, I would have to take out a student loan.”

Students such as Kirk who can’t work the extra time, or for whom the extra work hours aren’t enough, have chosen to take out loans.

The U Financial Aid and Scholarships Office has seen more students apply for financial aid this year than in years past, said Zane Archibald, financial aid specialist.

“It’s a drastic increase,” he said. “That is actually why we have been so behind this semester.”

The Financial Aid Office could not immediately provide information as to how much student loans have increased. It has access to many undergraduate scholarships across campus and can help anyone who needs financial aid.

Students can call its office at 801-581-6211 for more information.

Mike Mangum

Dustin Jordan, a sophomore in mass communication, steams milk at Chartwells? Outtakes in the Union where he works.