Haunting at Kingsbury Hall

By Tiffany Thorne

Kingsbury Hall, which welcomes ghoulish performers during the Halloween season, has been the home of a ghost of its own for more than 50 years.

Employees of the theater have reported creepy interactions with a ghost named “George,” who was so named by past employees. Those who claim to have met George have reported that he is not violent but has actually been helpful. The origins of George are unknown, but because of the ghost’s helpful nature, Wally Anderson, an employee at Kingsbury Hall, said George might have been an old janitor.

Three or four years ago, a former janitor at Kingsbury Hall became curious whether George was folding chairs in the auditorium. Anderson said the janitor often entered the theater to find the chairs folded up so that the floors were ready to be swept. One night, after sweeping the floors, the janitor folded the chairs back down and returned early the following morning to find the chairs folded up again. Anderson said this was likely the work of George.

Anderson said he has only seen George once, roughly eight years ago during a Saturday matinee. After Anderson closed the drapes across the doors on the east side of the building and stepped to the side of the curtain, he saw a hand reach around the curtain and pull the drape back. Thinking it was a member of the crew playing a trick, he investigated, but could not find anyone.

Not everyone is convinced of a paranormal presence, but most are slow to rule it out.

“I’ve never had any experiences like that personally, but I have felt like I was being watched before,” said Stephanie Gosdis, an administrative assistant at the theater.

Randy Rasmussen, technical director at Kingsbury Hall, said lights in the auditorium do occasionally turn on and off on their own, but he blames it on faulty wiring rather than the presence of spirits.

“If there is anything, it’s in the auditorium,” he said.
George declined to comment.