Ball security will be focus on Saturday

By Liz Frome, Staff Writer

Rice-Eccles Stadium will host the timeless battle of the Cowboys and Utes as the two teams fight to claim the W in Utah’s second annual blackout game Saturday. The game marks the teams’ first Halloween meeting in more than 100 years.

The Utes moved up to No. 16 in the BCS standings after their 23-16 overtime win against Air Force last week. Wyoming matched up against the Falcons two weeks ago and lost in a 10-0 shutout.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham said last week’s game against Air Force prepared the Utes a little more to face a tough Wyoming defense, but said the focus has to be improving their own possessions.

“There is a lot of carryover from Air Force to Wyoming,” Whittingham said. “Both employ an odd front and have a similar scheme. Hopefully the similarities in schemes will carry over and we will be able to make progress, but ball security supersedes anything else.”

Utah put the ball on the ground six times against Air Force, which contributed to the trouble they had offensively throughout the game. Whittingham said ball security is a focus point of every practice and that the only thing the team can do is keep trying to get better.

“We have deficiencies and are looking forward to becoming a better team each and every week,” he said.

The Utes will be playing with a much fuller roster than they have in recent weeks as they welcome back several athletes returning from time off because of injuries. Running back Shaky Smithson, who was expected to play against Air Force, is 100 percent and good to go, according to Whittingham.

Also back in action will be defensive tackle Lei Talamaivao and offensive lineman Walter Watts. Talamaivao was out with a broken leg and Watts was recovering from a knee injury.
Running back Eddie Wide suffered an ankle sprain last week, but will also be ready to go Saturday. Wide went down in the second quarter, but urged coaches to let him back in the game.He ended the night with 121 yards and two touchdowns, the second sealing the Utes’ overtime victory.

“(Wide) had a fairly significant ankle sprain and showed a lot of toughness and determination and did a nice job coming back on Saturday,” Whittingham said.

Defensive tackle Kenape Eliapo is questionable for Saturday because of an eye condition,and defensive back Joe Dale will be out another week or two, Whittingham said. Dale did not play against Air Force because of a knee injury.

Whittingham said the team is excited for Saturday’s game as it’s not only the blackout game, but also a chance to improve against another Mountain West Conference opponent.

“We should have a good crowd and are looking forward to the game,” Whittingham said. “We have to be ready to play. Wyoming is doing a nice job this year and we are trying to stay in the hunt for the MWC Championship.”

The Utes are second in MWC standings behind TCU, and Wyoming sits in fourth, behind BYU.

The last time the Utes and Cowboys met on Halloween was the teams’ very first meeting in 1904, when the Utes claimed in a 23-0 shutout performance in Laramie.

Julian Gomez

Luke Matthews fumbled a punt on the Utah 11-yard line to give Air Force the ball back last week. Utah had six fumbles against the Falcons and will look to hold onto the ball Saturday against Wyoming.