Ceremony to honor veterans

By Ryan Howell

The U will honor select veterans in its annual Veterans Day Commemoration Ceremony on Wednesday at 11 a.m. In its 12th year, the ceremony has honored 120 men and women who served during World War II and other American conflicts, said Coralie Alder, U spokeswoman and chairwoman of ceremony.

This year, eight veterans from WWII, two who served in the Vietnam War and one who served in both WWII and the Korean War will receive honorary medallions in the Union Ballroom.

“Often, today’s young people don’t see themselves or others their age as “veterans,’ so they don’t seek the resources available to them in order to navigate the special circumstances they face upon returning from duty,” Alder said. “We hope that this ceremony and the day’s events will help provide a resource for these students and insight for the rest of the student population.”

After the ceremony, there will be a special reception held in the ballroom at 12:30 p.m. to honor U student veterans. The Phoenix Swing Band, composed mostly of veterans, will perform throughout the ceremony.