2 sexual assault cases reported on campus

By Michael McFall

There have been two sexual assault reports in the Residence Hall area since Thursday, apparently committed by two different men.

Last Thursday, at about 9:20 p.m., a middle-age white man approached several young women near the Heritage Center. He touched them inappropriately and used sexually inappropriate language, according to the U Police. He then ran off toward Legacy Bridge.

Two days later, at about 7:30 a.m., a young Latino man approached a woman in the Fort Douglas area. He grabbed her clothing and then ran off toward the Sage Point buildings, U Police said.

“It’s very unusual to have two different cases so close to each other,” said U Police Chief Scott Folsom.

The physical differences between the two men are significant enough that the U Police don’t suspect they could be the same person, said Sgt. Arb Nordgran. The first man is described as being in his mid-to-late 30s, with no facial hair, wearing shorts and a sweatshirt, between 5-foot-9-inches and 6 feet tall and 200 to 210 pounds. The second man is described as balding with dark hair, between 5-foot-7 and 5-foot-10 with a husky build, wearing baggie jeans and a white jacket with green letters.

During Fall Semester for the past two years, young Asian women in the Residence Halls have reported a middle-age white man approaching them and asking them for their phone numbers or if they would like to spend time with him. There is a possibility that the middle-age man from Thursday’s incident could be the same one, but there is no evidence, Folsom said.

U Police are encouraging anyone who saw the incidents or has any information to call 801-585-2677.

U Police said they do not have any leads on who the men might be.