SDSU defence could give utes trouble

By Kelsey Price , Staff Writer

After a heartbreaking 30-27 loss to Wyoming that shattered San Diego State’s bowl hopes last weekend, the Aztecs are moving on and concentrating their efforts and thoughts on Utah.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity…to go out and focus all of our energy on Utah,” said SDSU wide receiver Jon Toledo.

The Aztecs have made remarkable improvement this year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Their defense, which was ranked 118th in rushing, 113th in scoring and 113th overall in defense, has improved to be ranked 77th nationally this year. The Aztecs’ defense has allowed an average of 379.6 yards per game this season, an 81.15 yard improvement per game compared to 2008.

Although the Aztec defense is below national averages, the 3-3-5 scheme it uses has given Utah problems in the past, especially against New Mexico. Utes’ receivers coach Aaron Roderick said it’s an unorthodox defense that makes it much harder for the Utes to call plays.

“It’s definitely a difficult defense to play; you never know where blitzes are coming from and you don’t know what they’re going to line up in,” said Utah offensive lineman Zane Beadles.

Aztec head coach Brady Hoke has been prepping his defense for a heavy Utah running game.

“They run it as well as anybody,” Hoyle said. “I think you see the speed that they have…on the perimeter. Those guys can go get it.”

San Diego also expects a fast defensive scheme from the Utes.

“(Utah has) got some pretty talented and quick (defensive backs), I think is what they rely on a lot,” said quarterback Ryan Lindley. “Also up front, they’ve got some big boys. I think all around they’re pretty solid. They’ve got some team speed on that side of the ball.”

On offense, the Aztecs have averaged 27.7 points per game in the past five matchups. Sophomore Lindley has been playing exceptionally well. In the past five games, Lindley is 106-of-177 (59.9 percent) with 1,374 yards, 13 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Lindley, who is ranked 38th nationally in total offense, believes his team will continue to expect more against the Utes after the Aztec loss to the Cowboys.

“We’re still looking forward to Utah and the opportunities that we have there,” Lindley said.

“(We’re) always going to know that (we) can do better, but with the way we prepared and the way we worked this season, I think as a whole this team expected more (against Wyoming),” he said. We’re going to continue to expect more and that’s what’s going to make us a better team.”

Despite losing to Wyoming, San Diego could potentially play in a bowl game, should they beat Utah and UNLV on the road in the final two weeks of conference play. The Aztecs’ last bowl game was the Las Vegas Bowl in 1998.

“We’ll find out what they’re made of,” said Hoke about his team and becoming bowl-eligible. “We’re going to find out about the leadership as coaches, the leadership of our seniors and the leadership we have on our team.”

Last year, SDSU only went 1-7 in conference play and has already improved to a 2-4 record this season.