Seniors finish strong in last home game

By Liz Frome , Staff Writer

The Utes’ 38-7 win over San Diego State on Saturday was bittersweet, said senior free safety Robert Johnson. The game, a huge comeback from last week’s loss to Mountain West Conference leader TCU, marked the last time Utah’s seniors would play in Rice-Eccles Stadium.

Johnson, who has been with Utah since 2007, has seen numerous wins and an undefeated season with the Utes. After playing his last game at home, Johnson said claiming the win was what the seniors needed to finish out their home season the right way.

“I’ve been here for three years, and the fans are amazing,” Johnson said. “I did not want it to come to an end. I wish I could play an extra year, but I can’t. I just love the fans out here, and I love playing here. (To win) means a whole lot.”

Starting stronger than they ever have this season, the Utes quickly snagged a 38-0 lead on San Diego State in the first half off of two touchdown runs from junior running back Eddie Wide, a run from junior wide receiver Shaky Smithson, and a 24-yard pass from freshman quarterback Jordan Wynn to junior wideout Jereme Brooks.

The Utes’ first-half offensive domination was complemented by a shutout from their defense, holding the Aztecs silent on 52 passing yards and 39 rushing yards.

Fighting for stop after stop were seniors Johnson, Stevenson Sylvester, Joe Dale, R.J. Stanford, Mike Wright and Koa Misi8212;each earning at least four tackles and together accumulating 33 on the night.

Wright said the Utes were able to come out so strongly in the first half because of a team effort fueled by physical preparation for San Diego State, as well as mental preparation for the seniors’ last night at home.

“I think our offense came out here in the first half and did what we needed to do, and the defense was forcing the pressure (and) forced some turnovers,” Wright said. “We came out ready to play, and that’s exactly what we needed to do. We’ve struggled in the past coming out and starting fast, so I guess we kind of learned what we need to do to get ourselves mentally prepared.”

Although tallying a 38-point lead heading into the locker room, Utah’s offense was scoreless the second half. Wright said that in spite of the offensive slowness in the third and fourth quarters, ending the game with a win was the most important thing for the Utes to accomplish.

“The senior class, we’ve had a lot of wins being here in the University of Utah football program, so for us to come here and finish our last home game with a win was big for us and exactly what we wanted to do,” Wright said. “We did what we needed to do there in the first half (and) just kinda finish out the game in the second half. That was a good win for us.”

Head coach Kyle Whittingham said the win was important for momentum heading into next week’s game against BYU and the overall season record, but said claiming the win for the seniors’ last home game was emphasized all week.

“Those guys have put in so much work and time and effort into this program, and we really appreciate their contributions,” Whittingham said. “We wanted to make sure we sent the seniors out the right way in their last home game at Rice-Eccles.”

Julian Gomez/The Daily Utah Chronicle

Utah senior defensive back Joe Dale intercepts a pass indented for Dominique Sandifer. Dale retuned the interception 30 yards for a touchdown.