Award-winning Russian quartet seeks younger audience in Utah

By Joseph Peterson

St. Petersburg String Quartet

Today
Master class: 2 p.m. Dumke Recital Hall
Concert: 7:30 p.m. Libby Gardner Hall
Student tickets: $5
Free shuttle from Rice-Eccles parking lot, starting at 6:30 p.m.

An award-winning Russian ensemble brings works of Beethoven and others to the Libby Gardner Concert Hall tonight in an intimate string quartet setting. Presented by the Chamber Music Society of Salt Lake City, the St. Petersburg String Quartet has traveled throughout the world receiving accolades, including a Grammy nomination, as one of the best quartets in the world.

With the exception of the Vitamin String Quartet, famous for its classic rendering of Metallica songs, chamber music and string quartets have a hard time finding popularity with younger audiences.

Paul Griffin, treasurer of the Chamber Music Society, said that although the concerts it hosts at the concert hall are fairly popular8212;with about 500 people attending, on average8212;most of the hair of those in attendance is white. Chamber music is “kind of an esoteric art form; the next generation hasn’t quite found it yet,” Griffin said.

Be that as it may, the St. Petersburg quartet proves that no matter the age of the audience, they deliver an impressive, intimate performance.

“The beauty of it is that these four people are conversing, whereas you go to a symphony and have 85 people, it’s hard to know what’s going on,” Griffin said.

Photo courtesy St. Petersburg String Quartet

The St. Petersburg String Quartet will be performing at Libby Gardner Concert Hall tonight.