Metal Alliance Tour kicks off in Salt Lake

Thrash metal group, Exodus, will be playing across the United States in the 2013 Metal Alliance Tour III with Anthrax. The tour kicks off April 1 at In The Venue. Photo Courtesy shannoncorr.com
Thrash metal group, Exodus, will be playing across the United States in the 2013 Metal Alliance Tour III with Anthrax. The tour kicks off April 1 at In The Venue.
Photo Courtesy shannoncorr.com

It is a bit difficult to imagine a more heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping genre of music than heavy metal. This subgenre of rock ‘n’ roll is known for brutal guitar-drenched tracks filled with blisteringly fast bass drums like rolling thunder, and cutting, unapologetic vocals.
Thrash metal icon, Anthrax, will be heading the 2013 Metal Alliance Tour III going across the United States with fellow metal pioneer Exodus. To kick off the tour, Exodus will be performing a one-off show at In The Venue on April 1.
Originally hailing from Richmond, Calif., many consider Exodus to be one of the original bands behind the much faster and more aggressive form of heavy metal — commonly referred to as thrash metal. With 10 albums of material stretching back more than 30 years, the band has a rich history within the genre, and possibly no member more so than band co-founder and drummer Tom Hunting.
“Looking back on it, growing up, we had a cool little scene going on with about two to three hundred people,” Hunting said. “It was a special thing to be a part of. We helped make it, and we’re thankful for that, and we’re proud of the fact that we were part of the pioneering process of that kind of music.”
Hunting said that putting together a set list for this year’s tour was — much as it has been in previous years — a difficult but enjoyable process.
“There’s a lot of material to choose from,” Hunting said. “The band’s got a lot of music, so we go around and around about that constantly. You know, everybody has got their favorite song. Some people want to play new material, some people want to play old material, and then you’ve got the crowd reactions as well. But there are worse problems that a band can have than having too many songs to choose from.”
As for his personal preferences, Hunting said he enjoys the challenge of the band’s more recent works.
“I like to perform a lot of the newer stuff, just because it’s fresher and it’s been played less,” Hunting said. “You know, I’ve played ‘Piranha’ off ‘Bounded by Blood’ probably a thousand times in my life. We still bring as much as we can as hard as we can even with some of the older music, but everyone has their favorites.”
For Hunting, the chance to share his music and perform it live across the globe has been more than just a hobby. It has been a major part of his life — his work with Exodus alone spanning more than 20 years. Hunting said reflecting back on it all, he has greatly grown as a musician.
“I think I appreciate it more,” Hunting said. “It’s pretty special to be able to do something you love while traveling the world. I like to humble myself due to the fact that I’m fortunate enough to do this for as long as I have. I don’t look at it like a 23-year-old anymore, and as far as being a musician, I think I’m a way better drummer now than I was even 20 years ago.”
Doors for Exodus’ show at In The Venue will open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance or $18 at the door.

• M

Mr. AnonymousMar 27, 2013 at 5:39 am

Anthrax? A thrash metal icon? Please…. they are a mediocre hair band from the 80s.

• J

JoshMar 27, 2013 at 6:42 am

Hair metal? Really? Anthrax is one of the Big Four of THRASH metal. Go listen to the Among the Living album and tell me they are just a hair metal band

• M

Mr. AnonymousMar 27, 2013 at 5:39 am

• J

JoshMar 27, 2013 at 6:42 am