Same-sex families experience prejudice in Utah

Sally Yoo / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Sally Yoo / The Daily Utah Chronicle

In 1998, my son was 7 years old. His favorite aunts were my ex-husband’s sister and her lesbian partner, both of whom lived in California with their daughter Angie. But we lived in West Jordan, in one of Utah’s most ideological neighborhoods.
The neighbors enjoyed having my police car parked near their homes for protection, but when Angie came to visit, the street — usually bustling with kids — was always vacant. In fact, each time our family stayed with us, the neighbors would gather up their children and disappear into their houses.
I don’t know if Angie or her moms noticed the alienation, and I didn’t mention it to them because I was embarrassed. It is good they are raising Angie in California, because Utah is one of the six worst states in the nation to raise children of same-sex couples.
Utah is in the bottom six because we 1) lack clear mechanisms that create legal ties to both parents for children born to same-sex couples 2) we offer no legal recognition for same-sex couples and 3) same-sex couples face legal restrictions when petitioning for second-parent adoption, according to the Family Equality Council.
Justice Kennedy put it best in the recent hearing against Proposition 8 in the U.S. Supreme Court, stating, “[Children of same-sex parents] want their parents to have full recognition and legal status. The voice of those children is considerable in this case.”
Laws that discriminate against same-sex couples cause “immediate legal injury.” That was Kennedy’s implication — and he is correct.
Utah and Mississippi are the only states that “explicitly” prohibit adoption rights for same-sex couples, according to the New York Times. They are also excluded from working in Utah’s foster care system. In 2000, Utah passed a law prohibiting people who are not married from adopting or fostering children.
There are more than 3,800 same-sex couples raising children in Utah, according to The Williams Institute. Same-sex couples, who already face extra legal challenges to have children, should be allowed and even encouraged to adopt children. Utah’s same-sex families are stable and loving two-parent homes.
The most troublesome part about the legal discrimination is that Utah has the highest rate in the nation per capita for child molestation — both male and female — but no cases involving LGBT individuals. Utah is also the only state where suicide is the leading cause of death for males between ages 15-30 — the vast majority of them from two-parent heterosexual homes and not same-sex couple’s homes.
The community Foundation of Utah assists with estate planning for the LGBT families, which is good because LGBT families lack inheritance rights. However, life partners are still excluded from benefits given as a standard for opposite-sex unions.
On March 21, the Family Equality Council shared the latest statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The results were positive for children who are adopted and/or fostered by LGBT parents.
Spokesman Steve Majors stated that, on behalf of 3 million LGBT parents and their 6 million children, the AAP believes same-sex marriage strengthens families — not diminishes them. There are more than 30 years of research determining that children from same-sex families grow up with the same positive development that opposite-sex families’ children do.
The tide is changing, and it is great to see same-sex families openly raising their children in more positive settings. There is still a lot of work to be done, especially in Utah, but hope is high that we can create an atmosphere of equality for all human beings.

• L

LeslieApr 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks for the article! We need more like it! And to “CommonSense”, Please! No one is trying to FORCE you to BELIEVE anything. But LGBT people are citizens and deserve EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW. Something they do not have right now. You talk about Black and Native Americans… Keep in mind the people who were bigoted against those folks had the same attitude as you. They felt the government was trying to “Force” them to “Believe” something they did not believe in. These people, who you say are “Not normal”, are still citizens and deserve equal protection under the law. There are many things that are considered “Not normal”. Children born without limbs, mental deficiencies, etc… A citizen is a citizen here in America.

• L

LeslieApr 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

• C

CommonSenseApr 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Bigotry is wrong. Bigotry includes people trying to force me to change my beliefs. So stop trying to force me to believe that same-sex marriages are normal. Until those marriages can reproduce, I believe that they are not normal. Survival of the species demands opposite-sex marriages. LGBT cries inequality. They don’t know what they are talking about. Inequality is what native-Americans and Black Americans experienced for so many years. LGBT people know NOTHING about bigotry.

• C

CommonSenseApr 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm

• C

ColoradoRobApr 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

Rose! Great article, with sources for your facts! This is a pleasant surprise. No whacky stories of mormons invading and occupying Palestine, no fringey claims that being pro-choice is like supporting eugenics. See – you can do it! You are now officially my favorite Chrony author. I search for new stuff from you at least weekly.
    I guess I should actually respond to your article. I see your perception of your neighbor’s behavior. Sounds like some prejudice going on. You know who else has a story of prejudice in Utah? Little old mormon me. 7th grade shop class in a public jr. high in Holaday UT in the ’80’s. I was grabbed by a huge kid and thrown up against the lockers. He pulled a knife, showed me, and said “I cut mormons – you one of them?” I honestly don’t even remember my answer – I might have lied, I might have told the truth. I might have started crying or been saved by a teacher. I often wonder what happened to that kid to make him act like that, and I wonder what happened to him as years passed. I hope he grew out of that sort of nonsense and became a man.
    There’s enough dumbassery going around, to just blame it all on one side. I suspect that you and I differ in our opinions about the role of laws on ‘creating an atmosphere of equality’, but I can say that I probably wouldn’t mind having your lesbian family as neighbors.

• C

ColoradoRobApr 10, 2013 at 10:07 am