Year in review: Agonizing loss destroys bowl hopes

Arizona running back Ka’Deem Casey dominated the rushing game with 204 yards from 26 carries Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah fell short of Arizona with a final score of 34-24 on Nov. 17, losing their chance to make it to a bowl game for the first time since 2002. Jonathan Royce / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Arizona running back Ka’Deem Casey dominated the rushing game with 204 yards from 26 carries Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah fell short of Arizona with a final score of 34-24 on Nov. 17, losing their chance to make it to a bowl game for the first time since 2002.
Jonathan Royce / The Daily Utah Chronicle

Originally published
Nov. 18, 2012

Utah wide receivers Dres Anderson and Luke Matthews embraced in the south end zone as time expired Saturday night with the Utes on the short end of a 34-24 decision at Rice-Eccles Stadium. As they separated, it was evident in the eyes of each player that they were struggling to fight back tears.
The tears that had just started to surface were not there simply because the Utes lost the game. They symbolized much more. For Matthews, they represented the realization that he would never again take the field in front of the crowd at Rice-Eccles Stadium. For Anderson, it was the culmination of a season that could have been much more prosperous. For both, those tears represented what the whole team was thinking and feeling — the Utes didn’t make it to a bowl game this season.
Utah’s loss Saturday night was its seventh of the season and ensures the team a losing record. More importantly, it means achieving the necessary six-win mark for bowl eligibility is impossible. Thus, for the first time since 2002, the Utes will be spending the holiday season at home instead of at a scenic bowl location. For Matthews and the other 24 seniors on the team, that fact will sting for a long time.
“That’s a tough one to swallow, being that I’ve been to a bowl since my first year here,” said receiver DeVonte Christopher. “To not make it to a bowl game is kind of bizarre.”
Although Arizona ultimately eliminated Utah from participating in the postseason, it was really the Utes who did themselves in throughout the season. It seemed every time the team did something right, it wasn’t quite enough.
That was epitomized as Saturday’s game slipped away. With Utah trailing by a touchdown and three minutes and 36 seconds remaining in the game, the Utes faced a fourth-and-four situation from their own 27-yard line. Utah could have punted and hoped for a defensive stop but elected to go for the first down.
With their bowl hopes hanging in the balance, the Utes turned to freshman Travis Wilson. The Wildcats sent a blitz, but the Utah offensive line picked it up, giving Wilson enough time to find Kenneth Scott cutting toward the middle of the field for a completion. Trouble was, Scott was never behind the first-down marker. When the ball was spotted, the officials called for the chain gang to come out for a measurement. Just like the Utes’ season, it was about a foot short.
Although Saturday felt like the last game of the year for Utah, the Utes still have to take on Colorado next week. Some of Utah’s players said the contest in Boulder against the Buffaloes is now the team’s bowl game. After Colorado crushed the Utes’ hopes of playing in the conference title game last season, Utah at least has revenge to play for.
“It’s a pride and character game,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “There is nothing else on the line. That should be enough every week. You shouldn’t need a carrot in front of you to play hard.”
Realistically though, Utah’s season ended with defeat at the paws of the Wildcats. Next Friday’s “Rumble in the Rockies” has no bowl implications, so for Utah, the season has already ended with at least one disappointment.