Minus the Bear shows off creativity

Dave Knusdon, guitarist for Minus The Bear, plays on stage.  Minus the Bear performed at The Depot on Sunday night.  //Frances Moody
Dave Knusdon, guitarist for Minus The Bear, plays on stage. Minus the Bear performed at The Depot on Sunday night. //Frances Moody

On Sunday night, Seattle band Minus the Bear proved it is a fully evolved rock ensemble. In fact, the entire process of music evolution took stage at The Depot. At the venue, three bands rocked it out, each showcasing the chops needed to become successful.
The first group, The New Trust, played a set of booming punk-like sounds. While the band lacked creativity, it was evident each member fully understood the dynamics of a rock anthem. Guitar player Sara Sanger made it her business to play complicated cords. Drummer Julia Lancer kept in rhythm. And lead singer Josh Staples’ raspy voice echoed poetic lyrics.
Then came Tera Melos. This assembly of three does not lack imagination. Their play on sounds and experimentation with instruments proved Tera Melos original. At times, the band had trouble playing in a cohesive style and could not follow a steady progression. Nonetheless, the dance moves of the audience showed its admiration for the band’s musical playfulness and ingenuity.
Finally, Minus the Bear hit the spotlight. The entire audience flocked from the bar and tables to fully take in songs that exhibited both talent and creativity. Known as a group whose style is ever-changing, Minus the Bear played a versatile selection of tunes.
From loud rock solos to electronic vibes, the band showed its musical knowledge. To say the least, audience members’ ears were titillated with diverse sounds. “My Time” got people up and dancing, while the acoustic break from rock n’ roll showed Minus the Bear’s passion for writing — a passion that takes precedence over amped-up and heavily produced songs.
At the show, Minus the Bear showed an intricate layering of skill and creativity, and effectively demonstrated how a successful band can’t have one without the other.