‘Something’s Afoot’ offers comedy, mystery

Tia Speros (Miss Tweed). //Courtesy Alexander Weisman.

Growing up, I loved watching “Miss Marple” on PBS. For some reason, I have always been fascinated with old ladies doing what they do best — solving crimes. From watching “Murder She Wrote” to reading Agatha Christie novels, I dream of growing old and developing a talent for unraveling mysteries.
With the long list of works, I certainly have inspiration to draw from. Now, I can add to that list with the musical “Something’s Afoot,” which is great, because I have been growing bored of “Miss Marple” and “Murder She Wrote” reruns.
Last Friday, the Pioneer Theatre Company opened its fall season with “Something’s Afoot.” The play, a spoof on murder mysteries, especially those with the byline Agatha Christie, tells the story of three employees and seven guests who, because of a raging thunderstorm, are trapped at the estate of Lord Dudley Rancour.
The house’s inhabitants are dropping like flies by way of foul play, and it is up to Ms. Tweed, artist and old maid, to find the murderer. Throughout the play, Ms. Tweed is in her element. In fact, she sings the song “Suspicious,” performed at the climax of the play’s plot, resonating her joy of profiling suspects and finding whodunit. Tia Speros, who plays Ms. Tweed, sings “Suspicious” with pizzazz and charisma. While listening to the song, I said to myself, ‘This is probably what Miss Marple dreams of every night.’ Obviously, Miss Marple is too eloquent to yell out, “Yes, someone died!” Instead, I envision her singing and dancing to the possible prospect of solving another murder.
Apparently, I’m not the only one who enjoys singing and dancing old ladies. The writers and composers of “Something’s Afoot” included a variety of songs centered on the theme of death and mystery, and Speros is the perfect actress to perform what the creators cooked up. Her voice matches the resonance of a Miss Marple-like tone and her movements fit perfectly with an over-zealous lady who has taken to deciphering mysteries.
While most of the songs fit into the storyline, the tune “I Owe It All” is far too obvious and contrasts to the musical’s subtle overtones of poke fun humor. Yes, the play is designed to pick on the cat ladies and the detective wannabes of the world, but it doesn’t need to blatantly remind the audience through song.
Though “I Owe It All” was forced, Speros used the song to kick out laughs from viewers.
However, Speros’ Friday performance was not without fault. On occasion, she fumbled her lines. But all in all, Speros was on target and somehow developed a nosey character with the ability to keep the audience intrigued, as opposed to driving them mad with the annoying characteristics most old lady detectives have.
Speros is not the only member of the cast holding acting talent. Jaron Barney embodied the personality of Clive, the nephew of Lord Dudley Rancour. With nasal intonations and exaggerated facial expressions, Barney is the weasel-of-a-character Clive was written to be.
Then there was James Judy’s impersonation of Colonel Gillweather. Judy’s Colonel Gillweather is the live-action version of Clue’s Colonel Mustard.
From Colonel Mustard to the Mrs. Peacock portrayal of Lady Manley-Prowe, performed by Rebecca Watson, the board game Clue took new meaning. From the play’s setting to the twisted plot, the board game mixed with Agatha Christie. To me, that mesh was the perfect recipe for a entertaining play.
Pioneer Theatre Company’s production of “Something’s Afoot” will run through Oct. 5.