Football: Players receive Pac-12 honors

Tenny Palepoi breaks through a block as he closes in on Colorado quarterback Sefo Liufau at Rice Eccles Stadium last Saturday. Photo by Conor Barry.
Although the Utes ended their season at the bottom of the Pac-12 and uncelebrated, several individual players garnered recognition as top performers in the Conference of Champions through 2013.

Defensive end Trevor Reilly claimed his spot on the All-Pac-12 Conference first team following his redshirt senior season. He led the Utah defense to the nation’s most sacks, contributing 8.5 of his own. He was also a lynchpin in the tenacious front seven that ranked third in the Pac-12 in rushing defense, allowing just 130.3 yards per game.

Reilly isn’t alone as a part of the All-Pac-12 Conference team. Defensive lineman Tenny Palepoi earned a position on the second team. Senior cornerback Keith McGill and sophomore linebacker Jason Whittingham earned recognition as a part of the Utah defense as honorable mentions as well. Based on his Instagram feed, the senior Palepoi was honored to be a part of the Utes’ team.

“Been through hell and back with these boys! I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything, these guys… .” Palepoi said of a photo of him and his teammates in the locker room after Saturday’s win over Colorado.

There are some drums and feathers on the All-Pac-12 Conference special teams squad as well. Kicker Andy Phillips was an honorable mention while punter Tom Hackett made the first team alongside Reilly. Hackett led the Pac-12 in almost every stat a punter can have — his 43.4-yard punt average, 27 punts inside the 20-yard line and 19 punts of 50-plus yards all topped the conference.

“Many thanks to those that appreciate my punting duties,” Hackett tweeted Monday. “Im honored to be named in the pac-12 first team and thank everyone for there support [sic].”

Long snapper Chase Dominguez delivered every snap flawlessly, as Hackett was successful in executing 100 percent of his 76 punts this season. Dominuguez was proud to hear of Hackett’s accolade.

“Congrats to my punter ‪@TomHackett33 on being named 1st team PAC-12! Best punter in the PAC, well done Tommy! ‪#Utes,” Dominguez tweeted.

While Hackett’s booming leg certainly helped him make the team, he was quick to thank his teammate for his stellar season.

“@chasedominguez couldn’t have done it without you mate! It all starts with the snap!” Hackett tweeted.

The All-Pac-12 Conference team is going to be a little light on Utah offense, given their struggles throughout the season. Wide receiver Dres Anderson, however, had his best season to date and garnered an honorable mention following a 1,000-yard season.

Center Vyncent Jones executed shotgun snaps to perfection all year and earned an honorable mention as well.