Sundance

Photo by Cole Tan.
Photo by Cole Tan.
When the filmstrips roll and the silver screens of the Sundance Film Festival light up, a wide array of activities go on in the ski town of Park City, Utah. From playing the “Where’s Waldo” version of spot-the-celebrity to partying at Park City’s hottest nightclubs, the 2014 Sundance Film Festival was bustling with things to do and places to go.
The international event attracts talents from across the globe. This year, artists such as Belle and Sebastian and KT Tunstall hit the Sundance music scene at the ASCAP Music Café while prominent DJs spun at the nightclubs that lined the sides of Main Street, both in permanent buildings and those that pop up especially for Sundance, such as Tao, which was definitely the place to be this year.
From day concerts to the night scene, music was an extension of the movie festival. Considering electronic dance music is the “it” sound to hear, clubs such as Epic Night Club had a lineup of the most popular DJs. The revamped rendition of the Star Bar welcomed The Crystal Method and The Chainsmokers. It also housed the after-party for the premiere of “Under The Electric Sky,” a documentary that highlights the Electric Daisy Carnival, a three-day three-night festival that celebrates the vibrant community of EDM.
Another nightspot to hang at was Park City Live. Also following the trend of the techno craze, the bar hosted Steve Aoki and Lil Jon, whose wild cake-throwing set thrilled fans.
Another act at Park City Live earlier on the opening weekend of Sundance included hip-hop sensation 2 Chainz, and this weekend the venue will host Ludacris, who came to Salt Lake City last year to headline the Aug. 15 concert in the Twilight Concert Series.
Also wanting to gain attention were local musicians who set up makeshift stages up and down Main Street, including multiple talented guitar-strumming duos and one lone harmonica player. Other Sundance fun included people in superhero costumes and men showing off pet owls. All in all, Sundance brought the heat with a delightful combination of music, movies, and magical moments that attendees will surely remember for quite some time.