Gender inequality needs to end

Lindsay+Schuring
Lindsay Schuring

Lindsay Schuring
Lindsay Schuring

The reality of my gender manifests itself on a daily basis. There is this feeling of defeat that comes with being born a female, and no matter what I do I will never reach my full potential. There is a glass ceiling that will not crack regardless of my efforts.
According to the United States Census, women make up 50 percent of the population, therefore we also make up 50 percent of the voter population. Women are becoming more and more prevalent in the workforce, but if those numbers reflect reality, then why are women earning roughly $10,000 less annually than men, according to the U.S. Census? Women work just as hard as men and deserve equal pay.
My years in school have taught me gender is a product of socialization. I have been taught to be deferential, presentable and voiceless by the media and social interactions. I have been told this is a man’s world, and all I can do is play along with their rules or I do not get to play, period. How can I be OK or even content with being a mere participant in my own life? What has to happen for women to be equally viewed by society? I am so tired of always feeling this Western pressure of beauty, of what the media depicts as the “perfect” woman. I am so tired of being called crazy or abrasive every time I voice my opinion on a subject. These issues are still around and need to be addressed again and again until a difference has been made.
I will continue to express my thoughts until I see women are no longer targets of negative labeling and unfair treatment. Women all over the world are facing indifferent attitudes from their counterparts when it comes to equality. It seems every time I read the news or catch a headline on TV as I walk past my living room, all I hear is a recount of a woman who has been raped or a woman who has been kidnapped or murdered, and no one observing or reporting this news seem to flinch. It is almost as if it has now become commonplace.
The World Economic Forum reports that Iceland was the number one country for gender equality, while the U.S. ranked 23rd out of 136 countries observed, and Yemen was the last on the board. According to USA Today, the literacy gap between women and men in Yemen is 49/82 percent, respectively. It seems lack of education might play a major role in most other countries in gender inequality, but many or relatively more women in the U.S. have access to education, which does not excuse the unequal way women are being treated.
Many of us contribute to this problem without realizing it when men expect women to act subservient and when women expect men to be breadwinners. None of this is fair. When we support expectations, all we are doing is setting ourselves up for failure. In order to make a difference, men need to recognize women as equals, and women need to stop accepting society’s unfair treatment.

• I

Itso AshkeeJan 29, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Inequality of pay based on gender is a myth. Ask yourself this question: If an employer could get the same work out of a female employee and only pay 75 percent of the wages, why would they ever hire men?
    The truth is, it is a false narrative. Numerous studies have shown that when you factor in the amount of time women take off to raise children, etc., the disparity in pay evaporates.
    Here is a link to an article that lays it out. if you disagree, that’s cool. But be honest enough to read the article and argue factually on the issues, rather than attacking me personally. That’s all I ask.
    http://disaffectedyouthparty.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/debunked-the-gender-wage-inequality-gap/

• T

TISOGJan 31, 2014 at 5:53 pm

That is true in some instances, but what about others where those factors are taken into consideration, like Lilly Ledbetter? She worked as a supervisor for Goodyear for almost 20 years, and by the end she was the only woman working as an area manager and the pay discrepancy between Ledbetter and her 15 male counterparts was stark (and all were with equal or less seniority than herself): Ledbetter was paid $3,727 per month; the lowest paid male area manager received $4,286 per month, the highest paid, $5,236. What was going on there?
      How many countless examples of this exist and we just don’t know because the information remains hidden? You can’t honestly think that after thousands of years of cultural and legislated female subjugation, suddenly all traces of sexism will completely disappear in all workplaces in America in the span of 30 years can you?

• I

Itso AshkeeJan 29, 2014 at 6:26 pm

• T

TISOGJan 31, 2014 at 5:53 pm

• C

ColoradoRobJan 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

“why are women earning roughly $10,000 less annually than men, according to the U.S. Census?”
    Here, let me google that for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male%E2%80%93female_income_disparity_in_the_United_States#Explaining_the_gender_pay_gap
    “My years in school have taught me gender is a product of socialization.” Your schools have sucked. Your gender is a product of being born male or female. Everything else you’ve heard elevates statistical outliers to a status they don’t deserve.
    “What has to happen for women to be equally viewed by society?”
    “In order to make a difference, men need to recognize women as equals, and women need to stop accepting society’s unfair treatment.”
    I like your answer, especially the second part. If anyone from any demographic is experiencing ‘unfair treatment’ from society, they can sit there and demand all they want, but ultimately, it’s up to them to stand up or roll over.

• C

ColoradoRobJan 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

• W

who_datJan 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Check out the payroll for the White House under Obama. Females, on average, are paid $10,000 less then their male counterparts. Start with the President who makes claims similar to yours. I agree that equal work should be paid equally. But the discrepancies are more than simply that. Do the studies show the same number of years of experience, degrees, etc.?

• T

TISOGJan 31, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Hold on there fella. Let’s give the whole picture you’re glossing over. Obama holds the record for the Most Diverse White House cabinet in US History. And even though Democrat female staffers do make less than their male counterparts, when compared with the GOP, the difference is astronomical!
      DEMOCRATIC SENATE FEMALE STAFFERS: make $4,916.46 less annually than their male counterparts
      GOP SENATE FEMALE STAFFERS: make $9,805.85 less annually than their male counterparts
      DEMOCRATIC HOUSE FEMALE STAFFERS: make $1,473.65 less annually than their male counterparts
      GOP HOUSE FEMALE STAFFERS: make $10,093.09 less annually than their male counterparts!!!!
      So in comparison, GOP female staffers make 5-10 TIMES LESS than female Democrats. That’s huge and goes a long way in demonstrating which party thinks female work is less valuable.

• W

who_datJan 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm

• T

TISOGJan 31, 2014 at 5:31 pm