‘Colorful chaos’

Festival-o-Colors-2Last weekend, tie-dye clouds covered the premise of the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork. This annual celebration — the Holi Festival of Colors — has grown immensely since the temple was established.
A festival normally celebrated in parts of India and Nepal, Holi welcomes the spring season. In its customary practice, the holiday starts with the Holika bonfire, which symbolizes the burning of evil. The next day, colorful chaos ensues, when people throw colored powder and squirt dyed water at each other.
While this format works in locations dedicated to following traditions, the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple mixes the two occasions by commencing the bonfire and color smorgasbord at the same time.
In addition to intermingling events, the temple has added new flare to the eastern holiday. Last weekend, bands took stage in the small town of Spanish Fork. To many Festival of Colors attendees, the event is more of a rock concert with spiritual influences.
With thousands of participants joining Holi, the phenomenon is spreading to metropolitan areas. And in Utah’s case, the Festival of Colors has traveled to Salt Lake City. Taking place May 3 at the Salt Lake City Krishna Temple, Utah’s capital will celebrate the coming of summer rather than spring.
This occasion will showcase mantra music, hold color throwings every hour, and offer Indian cuisine. Last weekend, rain poured on Holi attendees. By adding in warm weather, the May 3 celebration is enticing to visitors who prefer sunshine over rain.