Fight song is exclusive, sexist

Sally Yoo
Sally Yoo
Since the passing of the ASUU resolution to encourage discussion around making the Utah Fight Song more inclusive, students have taken sides — mostly through social media. Two Facebook pages popped up this last week. One, titled “A Utah INCLUSIVE FAN Am I,” asks students to “consider an alternative to ‘Utah Man am I’ in the Utah Fight Song.” The page, as well as the resolution and the prompting by Sam Ortiz, encourages discussion around the issue, not immediate change. The second page, “A Utah MAN Am I,” sprang up in reaction, garnering over 2,000 likes from students and declares, “The U has been discussing the possible change of our fight song and we need to let them know we AREN’T ok with a change!!!” The difference between the two is that those wanting change are asking for a discussion, while others are immediately shutting down the idea. It says a lot about a university — and a population — when thousands of students are more than ready to fight against conversations concerning social justice issues.
@UtahPigBus was quoted by The Daily Utah Chronicle saying, “How ridiculous, Utah’s fight song is being changed [because] feminist students object to it …” The call for discussion has lead to a debate between tradition and progress, with students, alumni, and even professors making a mockery of attempts for change, sending hate mail to the student body president, and making illogical statements about political correctness, feminism, sexism and racism. One individual on The Salt Lake Tribune’s website commented, “Sexism is in the eye of the beholder. So is racism. Leave the song, logo and mascot alone. It will not have any effect on actual racism and sexism. I am so sick of this PC nonsense.”
Obviously, they have no idea what sexism or racism is. The definitions of sexism and racism according to Carleton University include, “the conventional practices or structures of institutions that have the effect of excluding or discriminating against individuals or groups” for their actual/perceived race or sex. The exclusion of anyone who is not a man in this song is obvious. While in regards to progress for women everywhere this may seem small, but it has become obvious through this conflict, that students, alumni and U professors have serious lack of concern for individuals outside of themselves. Individuals want change. Women and genderqueer individuals, among others are left out, as most don’t identify as a man.
As Sam Ortiz says to The Salt Lake Tribune, “The idea that man means both female and male is a little antiquated,” not to mention that male and female aren’t the only sexes or genders that exist. Is it too much to ask that the word “man” is changed to “fan” and that other slight changes are made? The U is meant to be an inclusive place. While this change would not force inclusivity upon the campus, this call for discussion has made it clear that there are larger issues at play here. Students at the U have a lacking education on social justice, bigotry and inclusion, and that needs to change.

• B

Buddy ZuckermanApr 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm

You want inclusivity? I’ll give it to you. We should ditch the Ute mascot and become the Utah Pioneers. It is more representative of the heritage of Salt Lake City and won’t piss of the Utah tribe anymore. It is gender inclusive because women were pioneers, too.
    As a fight song, we’ll sing “The Handcart Song” and our mascot will ride on to the field in a covered wagon. come on, sing it with me “Merrily on the way we go until we reach the valley-O!”

• B

Buddy ZuckermanApr 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm

• M

Mark GeistApr 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

When people like Obama and Ortiz get elected, political correctness trumps common sense…why is anybody surprised…

• M

Mark GeistApr 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

• J

JustinApr 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

This is why you write for “The Daily Utah Chronicle”. What a joke! I heard about this article and had to read it for myself. Georgie Zamantakis can you even sing the fight song by heart?

• J

JustinApr 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

• R

RobApr 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

What if the fight song had originally been written “A Utah woman am I.” I can just imagine all the backlash that women would be dishing out over any proposed changes… in the name of tradition of course.

• R

RobApr 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

• B

BridgerApr 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Maybe if the Daily Utah Chronicle was a credible news source and not a sensational tabloid, your opinion would have a marginal amount of relevance.

• N

Not an AssholeApr 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Maybe you if you weren’t racist, you’d see why this article is important.

• S

Scott ClarkApr 14, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Oh are women, and to quote the article, “genderqueer” individuals, a different race now? You are an ass hole because you yell out “racist” without any meaning or thought. You lessen the power of the word by your meaningless accusations when someone disagrees with you.

• B

BridgerApr 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm

• N

Not an AssholeApr 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm

• S

Scott ClarkApr 14, 2014 at 2:23 pm