Smokers should take ‘noxious cloud’ away from the doors

Arash+Tadjiki
Arash Tadjiki
Arash Tadjiki
Arash Tadjiki

There is something happening on campus that seems to be spreading rampantly anywhere and everywhere. Smoking is a part of daily life here on campus, and whether one partakes of it or not, it will likely be encountered at some point during the day. But smoking itself is not the issue. Some smokers have taken it upon themselves to adopt a rebellious spirit and smoke wherever they see fit, including right smack next to doors. It was once just one or two lone mavericks, too cool to smoke away from the school (or any other building, for that matter). But now it seems to be a fad among smokers, and one needs only to travel to the Peterson Heritage Center for an evening dinner to see that it is indeed the case. The problem here, folks, is that the amount of people who smoke next to building entrances is just too high.

In the flow of foot traffic, one might have come across a few of these fine individuals socializing with others who enjoy a quick smoke, unaware that their carcinogenic clouds tend to get caught in the jet stream that perpetually moves through the doorway and goes straight into the lungs of the unsuspecting innocents eating or studying within. Perhaps the reader has had the great privilege, upon exiting the Heritage Center or the Marriott Library, of accidentally bumping one of these mobile smokestacks who decided to have a quick, foggy sojourn by the door handle. The sight of someone smoking that close to a heavy door in a busy entrance evokes a blindfolded Looney Tunes character, who, aware the worst is coming, lights one up and enjoys the smoky pleasures one last time. All hyperbole aside, this is a serious problem that poses health and even legal concerns.

A number of second-hand chemicals assault the lungs of everyone who uses these entrances, which are daily besieged by this inconsiderate act. Beyond that, it is noteworthy to consider the legal repercussions. According to TobaccoFreeUtah.org, under the Utah Indoor Clean Air Act, persons are prohibited from smoking within 25 feet of an entrance, open window or any other source of air for the building. Therefore, outside of being just plain rude, these people are actually in contempt of a state law designed to keep the indoors free of their chemical warfare. The price of breaking this law? A fine up to $100 may be issued.

I don’t know why people feel the need to grace our campus’ doorways with their exhaust, but it is extremely irresponsible and inconsiderate toward those who simply wish to enter and exit buildings unmolested by a noxious cloud of death. This is the cold, blunt truth of the matter.

This is not a declaration of war on smoking, nor should it spark a vendetta against it. By all means, smoke until your heart is content. After all, it is a luxury in which many people have chosen to indulge for hundreds of years. But please, be considerate of others when doing so, and obey the laws designed to promote the health of the people. There is no need to practically stand in the doorway when smoking — not everyone enjoys a cigarette.