Lack of depth has the Utes scrambling

— Conor Barry

Over the last decade, defense has been the brand name for the Utes. For most of last season, Utah was leading the NCAA in sacks and was recognized as one of the better defenses in the Pac-12. With a grueling schedule awaiting them with some of the nation’s best offenses, defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake hopes to have his group ready to go by the opening game against Idaho State on Thursday.

“I think one of the biggest concerns of opening the season is being a little rusty or coming out flat,” Sitake said. “The goal is to make sure that we’re functioning and hitting on all cylinders and ready to go.”

The Utes have taken hits from the injury bug throughout the offseason, the latest being in the defensive backfield. After losing sophomore cornerback Reginald Porter to a season-ending knee injury, the Utes are trying to make do with what little secondary they have left.

Sophomore Brian Allen was switched from the wide receiver position to defensive back to try to aid in their lack of depth. Sophomore Dominique Hatfield is also helping out that unit by not just playing cornerback, but contributing on both sides of the ball as a receiver also.

The secondary does return senior safety and captain Brian Blechen. After being held from last season due to a knee injury, Blechen’s return provides much-needed experience at the position. He is expected to make an impact along with junior college transfer Tevin Carter, who has one year of eligibility remaining.

Senior defensive end Nate Orchard is captain along with Blechen. The two have become good friends and developed a lot of chemistry that Orchard expects to transfer onto the field.

“We get along really well,” Orchard said. “Brian and I, we click. [We] have been here for a while and I have been working with him for a long time now.”

Orchard is anticipated to be an All-Conference defensive end. Off-season injuries have kept him sidelined, but he prides himself on never missing a game. Now at full recovery, Orchard plans on helping his group make an impact and takes his role as captain very seriously.

“It means everything,” Orchard said. “It is an honor and a privilege to know that these guys look up to me in that way and I want to take on the responsibility.”

He will be leading what is expected to be the strongest unit of the defense. They will be looking to see a great impact coming from freshman Lowell Lotulelei, the younger brother of former Ute and NFL first-round draft pick Star Lotulelei. The expectations are high for the local Bingham High School prospect to keep up the success the Utes have been getting out of the pass rushers.

In between the safeties and defensive lineman, the Utes have made many changes. Injuries, particularly to senior Jacoby Hale, who tore his ACL in the spring, have caused the most shuffling in the outside linebacker corps. Sophomores Pita Taumoepenu and Marcus Sanders-Williams were moved from their original positions at defensive end and running back respectively to provide more comfortable depth. Taumoepenu, who has had a good off-season showing, is in a tight battle with sophomore Uaea Masina for the starting spot at the strong linebacker spot.

All the linebackers have learned to play both inside and outside, but the Utes are anchored in the middle linebacker spot with junior Jason Whittingham. Finishing sixth in the Pac-12 in tackles per game, Whittingham won the job during last season. Blechen has also learned and has experience playing in the linebacker spot.

The defense overall is younger than in recent history, and injuries have made it quite taxing, but Sitake is still very pleased with what he has to work with and hopes that the players who are left will continue to stay healthy while the rest recover.

“If they are out there running around,” Sitake said. “I am happy.”

@brandonbarlow64