On the other sideline

Utah kicks off the 2014 season with a Thursday night tilt against Idaho State. In preparation for the game, The Daily Utah Chronicle spoke with Idaho State Journal sports editor Kyle Franko:

Q: What does Idaho State think of Travis Wilson and the Utah offense?

KF: They think of him as a dangerous guy. If you look at the fact that he beat out Kendal Thompson, you know he must have some abilities. I think [Idaho State] look at him as a dual threat.

With Dave Christensen coming in as offensive coordinator, [The Bengals] are trying to figure out exactly how he has changed the offense from years past to now. They expect Utah to play up-tempo and very fast, and that’s not really a concern for them, because the Bengals play really fast, so the defense should be accustomed to that.

[Idaho State] isn’t so concerned about what Utah is going to do. It’s more how are they going to use these two games to prove themselves and get better.

Q: What are the benefits of playing an FBS program for a school like Idaho State?

KF: Getting paid is a big deal for a school that is in the FCS. They need the money from big revenue games to fund the entire university. The money is definitely necessary. Two games is probably a little overkill (referring to next week’s contest against Utah State), but again, you got to pay the bills, and that’s what it comes down to.

[Idaho State] is going in with the attitude that it’s good for us because we will use those opportunities to jump up right away and play a good opponent. Whenever you play someone better, that should be good for you as a football team as well.

Q: What Bengals player should Utah fans keep their eye on?

KF: Idaho State offensively are a spread, up-tempo offense. So what’s really important in that offense, at least for the Bengals, is their slot receiver, KW Williams. He is only a sophomore and hasn’t had a lot of time at the varsity level. He is a really talented guy, he’s a former wrestler, I think he was a state champion in California at 195 pounds. He’s a big strong kid, certainly not very tall, decent athleticism. He’s an important guy in the slot, because he’s going to get matched up against the safeties. Idaho State’s attitude is that their receiver against the safeties they should win those one-on-one battles and if he can control the middle then it should open one-on-one opportunities on the edge.

Q: How is the Utah program viewed in Idaho?

KF: They are viewed as a respected program, definitely above the Mountain West Conference. Of course Utah hasn’t had great success in the Pac-12 since moving from the Mountain West, so maybe there is still a perception that they’re not quite an Oregon or a USC, but I can tell you from an Idaho State’s football perspective they have great respect for the program. Head coach Mike Kramer has mentioned that he thinks that Utah is going to have a big bounce-back year from 5-7.

From (the fans’ perspective), maybe they sense them to be in the middle, not quite an elite Pac-12 program, but something above the Mountain West.

@millerjryan