Drink, paint and be merry

They say alcohol brings out the creative genius in all of us, as it keeps our spirits high and inhibitions to a minimum. Paint Nite Salt Lake City wants just that from each of their painters, advising everyone who sits in front of that blank canvas to “drink creatively.” So, grab your smock, paints, brushes and, yes, a few cocktails, and settle in for a night to truly unleash your inner Picasso.

This not-so-average art class is held every week at various local bistros around the Salt Lake Valley and has skilled, experienced social artists who guide painters through the night’s featured piece. Best of all, there is no experience required. Everyone receives a gold star for whatever creative edge they bring to their painting. Each class features a painting — from original works by the artists in the program to more well-known works like van Gogh’s “Starry Night.” Simple and stress-free, you’ll be surprised at the end of the night with what you have created.

I had the opportunity to take a Paint Nite class this week with a group of coworkers at Lokal’s Restaurant and Bar in West Valley. The night’s picture was of a sunset forest scene. Although we were beginners when we arrived, we felt like true artists by the end of the event.

Grace Dawson, one of the many social paint instructors, began her instruction with an oath all the participants had to take before even touching the canvas. With drinks raised high in the air, we all repeated, “I solemnly swear to have fun, and not once will I get frustrated, bitch and moan, or throw my canvas across the room! Don’t fix it, just love it! Cheers!” The room filled with clinks, clanks and laughter as the night took off.

Grace led the bar full of rookies through a sunset sky, forest scenery and final touches between sips of wine and beer and a large amount of bar food. Elbow-to-elbow with the painter next to me, I soon find myself making new friends and laughing at the amateur appearance of each of our “masterpieces.” However, as the night came to an end and as Grace advised us get up and come back to our paintings, we saw the creativity and individuality of each person, including my close friends.

If you’re interested in creating your own work of art, you can visit PaintNite.com for events or to purchase tickets and check out the many Paint Nite Salt Lake City opportunities. Classes are $45 for each painter, on top of the venue’s menu. Right now there is a discount for Paint Nite on groupon.com for any class of your choosing. Some classes, depending on location, require painters to be 21 and older.

So, if you’re looking to spice up your usual night out or try something completely new, grab a group of friends and let Paint Nite Salt Lake City show you a great and creative time. After all, Emerson said it best: “Every artist was first an amateur.”

@ChronyArts