Escape procrastination nation

In an evolving economy, as manufacturing and even some customer service jobs move overseas to countries like China and India, it is vital that young Americans strive to do well in their early and post-secondary education. To do this successfully, however, often requires multiple degrees, sometimes in excess of the traditional four-year schooling requirement. For many, this can seem like a daunting task and can even cause some to forsake their educational dreams. But for those who stay in college — especially those who may be struggling from day to day just to meet deadlines — a word of timeless advice: Don’t procrastinate. No matter how cool Facebook may make it seem.

This advice applies to all who are seeking a degree, not just the traditional four-year students. To those attending a trade school, community college, job training, graduate school, etc., it is vital that those annoying deadlines not be ignored until the last minute. There is nothing worse than asking a professor or instructor for more time when the work was assigned two weeks before. It is beneficial for students to properly plan for the assignment and at least have most of it completed before that dreaded last moment before the due date. For some, this means a minute-to-minute schedule break-down of every day, as well as the careful and meticulous calculation of what activities will occur when. Yes, those people do exist, and they never miss an assignment. But this certainly isn’t the only way to properly plan a schedule.

Having a planner is one of the best ways to schedule work and is a good way to assure that the assignment is never forgotten. To write an assignment down is to preserve it, and it is the best way to manage a heavy schedule. Does this mean every day must be analyzed and broken down hour by hour? Of course it doesn’t, but it is a good idea to at least outline a rough plan for finishing an assignment on time, in order to be aware of its due date. For freshmen, this idea may sound unnecessary for courses that don’t seem too difficult. Perhaps this is true, but this ease is only for the time being. Learning to properly plan a schedule as a freshman will prepare you for upper division classes and your senior year. Practicums, Capstones, internships and observations, in addition to an intense amount of coursework, make senior year a challenging time for many students, and having the simple ability of skillful planning will help ease the burden.

This may sound like simple advice — and it is — but far too many students learn firsthand that it is also the truth, and ignoring deadlines often leads to more problems and a tighter schedule. As Benjamin Franklin once declared, “You may delay, but time will not.” As students continue their education this Fall Semester, hopefully these words of Benjamin Franklin and the short bit of advice preceding them will ring in the ears of many, and maybe fewer deadlines will be missed because of it.