Bringing back the ’90s: the Bad, the Ugly

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]— The Daily Utah Chronicle FileFashion has taken a turn for the weird down memory lane, and it doesn’t show signs of slowing up for its wary followers. These days, the average fashionista draws inspiration from the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, and that’s not necessarily a great thing. Let it be known that nothing good came from the ‘90s (aside from Will Smith, who can wear anything, because he’s Will Smith).
But you and I are not Will Smith. Scrunchies, hiking boots, messy hair, oversized everything and a general lack of respect for one’s appearance are not things we should be trying to emulate. There is always a specific reason things fade into a dark corner of the past. At a certain point, it’s best to just let them remain there. Things like ex-boyfriends, drunk texts from last night, that time you tried to do the gallon challenge — these are things we don’t talk about. And that’s OK.
In the fashion realm, people have started thinking — for some reason — that it’s OK to drudge up some of the trends that were long ago folded up and put away in the dark corners of fashionland. Here are some of the things we don’t need to revisit:
Platform shoes:

Heeled platform boots, platform sneakers, and flatforms (even the name makes me shudder) were probably mistakes the shoe factory made and forgot to recall. Things got out of hand. Then suddenly it was too late, and the great kingdom of fashion had already dubbed them “casual cool.” I’m a firm believer that heels are a game of proportions, and too short a heel (or in this case too flat and high) ruin the line that heels were intended to create. Flats or wedges, people — stop hanging out somewhere in the middle.
Oversize anything:
Oversize sweaters, oversize button-up shirts and oversize pants. They all really belong to the ‘80s, and the excuse “it’s comfortable” only goes so far. You can wear things that don’t fit, that’s fine. You’re your own person. But sometimes that proverbial “two birds with one stone” doesn’t apply, especially in the case of oversized sweaters plus mom jeans. It’s overkill.
Mom jeans:
Speaking of those high-waisted mom jeans that don’t flatter anyone, stop wearing them. They don’t flatter anyone’s rear, and they can quickly cross the line separating chic from sloppy. Jennifer Aniston is the only human with the ability to make those look normal, and even she and her “Friends” set those aside years ago.
‘90s tops:
I’m going to lump all tops from that era into one category and leave them here. Shrunken sweaters, turtlenecks and flannel shirts can just slink back to Goodwill where you’re all finding them. Put your crop tops and denim jackets away. Don’t even try to bring back those awful printed bowling shirts. Leave those mesh tees where they belong — in the closet, collecting dust.
Harem pants:
Stop! Hammertime is over. You can’t touch this because anything with “drop crotch” in the description is wrong. They rival only the ‘mom jeans’ in terms of which pant is the worst in existence. These may be the most comfortable things you own, but they shouldn’t be worn in public.
Overalls:
Stop trying to make overalls happen. Overalls are not going to happen.
@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]