“One Man, Two Guvnors” promises to make audiences laugh

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]— Courtesy of Alexander Weisman— Courtesy of Alexander Weisman

Pioneer Theatre Company is working hard to bring Salt Lake theater fans a diverse array of shows that cover a variety of topics, from the psyche of teenage angst in “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” to the sexual psyche of “The Rocky Horror Show.” PTC’s latest production, “One Man, Two Guvnors,” takes comedy to a whole new level.
“It’s an absolutely brilliantly constructed comedy,” said David Ivers, a guest director for PTC. “This play that Richard Bean adapted from ‘The Servant of Two Masters’ is told in such a clever, reinvented way that there was no way I could say no. This play is the best of all possible worlds … there is a unique style and fashion sense to it … which makes it magical.”
The play follows the bumbling attempts of Francis, who tries in vain to serve two different masters — one a devious, low-life gangster and the other a more high-brow criminal. Hilarity ensues with a cast of memorable characters who incorporate the audience into their performances.
“The role is one of those dream roles for an actor to play because it’s demanding both physically and comedically,” said Christopher Duval, who plays Francis. “I have had a remarkable time working on it. It’s a role that I see a lot of myself in, and I think it’s a role that the audience will see a lot of themselves in as well.”
For Ivers, “One Man, Two Guvnors” represents his first time working with PTC, though he is veteran of the Utah theater circuit. He currently serves as one of two Artistic Directors at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, where he has acted and directed in over 40 productions. He has performed in both dramatic and comedic roles but is also successful as a director.
“At the moment, I’m focused on directing, but for me the best part of being an actor was being in rehearsal, and when it came time to just preforming solely I found it less thrilling because I really liked being in the process,” Ivers said. “That’s why directing is so appealing — because I’m always in the process, and when the product finally comes together I step away.”
Like Ivers, Duval is also a man with many talents. When he isn’t performing on stage he is an assistant professor in the Actor Training Program at the U.
“I’m looking forward to having my peers and students see the production, and I definitely have it in my mind that I need to practice what I preach,” Duval said. “I hope that what I teach in the classroom is embodied on stage.”
While Duval is excited about performing in front of his students, he promises he won’t punish them for being critical of his work and hopes that the student population will come out and see the play.
“Its just a fantastic, wonderful, generous play. It’s a celebration of life, love and what it means to be a human being,” said Duval. “It’s muscular, energetic and hip. You will never see anything even remotely close to this. It’s guaranteed to be one of the highlight experiences of anyone’s night.”
PTC’s production of “One Man, Two Guvnors” opens on Oct. 31 and runs through Nov. 15. Tickets can be purchased at the box office and online.
@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]