7 Things to Do on Halloween

You’re too old to trick or treat. Finding costumes seems daunting, your friends don’t want to have a party and you don’t know what to do with your Halloween evening. Lucky for you, there are plenty of things to do on Halloween that won’t earn you the weird stares you’d get if you, say, pretended to “babysit” a group of trick-or-treaters because you didn’t make other plans. Here is a list of seven things you can do tonight to stay off the neighborhood watch list.

Body Worlds at the Leonardo

If you’re looking for something that will really get under your skin, consider going to the Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life exhibit at the Leonardo. See the human body develop over the entire lifespan by observing real human specimens preserved through plastination. Compare the healthy bodies with the diseased and check yourself before you wreck yourself with all of that Halloween candy. Bring your student ID, and your ticket will only be $15. The exhibit will be open until 10 p.m..

Grimm Ghost Tours

If you’re afraid of ghosts and want to know where to find them (or avoid them) consider going on a Grimm Ghost Tour. First, buy your tickets online at grimmghosttours.com for $25, and then meet at your designated time at 18 West South Temple. The tour lasts about an hour and a half and will take you to several haunted locations, such as The Rio Grande Train Depot, Salt Lake City’s oldest mansion and the United States’ largest municipal cemetery.

Psychic reading at Crone’s Hollow

For those of you who take Halloween seriously, I would suggest networking with other like-minded people at Crone’s Hallow. Located at 2470 South Main Street, you can order a coffee or tea at the SteamHead Café and join in a conversation about crystal balls or participate in a tarot circle. You can also find out what your future holds as you talk to a psychic and meet with one of the gifted Crone’s Hollow House Readers, though I see in your future a $25 payment for a 20-minute reading.

DF Dance Studio “From Dusk till Dawn” Show

If you’re not the dancing type but still want to move your bones, head down to 2978 South State Street to DF Dance Studio for their “From Dusk till Dawn” Halloween Show. The festivities begin at 9:30 p.m. with a beginners Salsa Class. At midnight there will be a show featuring some of the very talented U ballroom dancers! Then get your freak on and dance until 2 a.m. The cost of admittance is $12.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

If you like bad science fiction horror movies, you’ll love the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The Tower Theatre, located on 900 South and 876 East, is having a live shadow cast performance featuring the Latter Day Transvestites. Participate with this cult classic by throwing rice at the screen and yelling out all of your favorite lines — commentary is invited. Tickets are $10, and you can purchase a $3 prop kit that will benefit the Latter-Day Transvestites. Showings at both 8 p.m. and midnight.

Bars, Dances and Parties — Oh my!

If you’re not over 21 and want to go dancing, Area 51, located at 451 South and 400 West, will have three dance floors, cash prizes and a raffle, with admission at $10. If you’re over 21, congratulations — there is a plethora of opportunities to dance your face off and show off your costume. The Green Pig, located at 31 East 400 South, will have local band The Gamma Rays on their rooftop bar and will also be giving away $500 and more for the winners of their costume contest. Wasted Space (342 South State Street) will be giving out goodies “liberally” and won’t charge you a cover. Cheers to You (315 South Main Street) is giving away a trip to Las Vegas and will be playing horror movies all night.

Stay at home and watch a movie

For those of you who want to stay at home, Amazon Prime has a couple of great options. You could get nostalgic and watch “Addams Family Values” and feel safe throughout the whole evening. Undoubtedly this movie featuring Christopher Lloyd is a classic.

If you like to scare yourself to the point that you want to lock all the doors and put 9-1-1 on speed dial, consider watching the film “Ted Bundy.” It will make you never want to trust handsome people ever again. It’s rated R for sexual violence involving a sexual predator and serial killer, nudity and strong language. It’s a great movie full of creepy, suspenseful moments and a great performance from Michael Reilly Burke playing the title role. Fun fact: Ted Bundy was accepted to the Law School here at the U in 1974, but he dropped out eventually because he found the classes incomprehensible. Though he is not an alumni, he certainly left his mark on Utah.

Be safe this Halloween. Consider downloading Lyft (a ride sharing app) as a way to get home safely if you drink a few too many or get stuck somewhere after public transit stops running. You’ve now got seven things to do tonight, and being bored ain’t one.

@ChronyArts