Dark comedy and surprises abound in “The Threepenny Opera”

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Courtesy of the U of U Department of Theatre
Currently showing at the Babcock Theater is “The Threepenny Opera,” a dark comedy that satirizes values, capitalistic vs. socialistic society and love and marriage. The Babcock Theater, a small basement theater in the Pioneer Memorial Theater, allows for close, personal interpretation of this Utah Theater Department production.
“The Threepenny Opera” is set in London in the 19th century. As stated by the production’s first line, you are about to see “an opera about beggars.” It is not an opera in the traditional sense. “The Threepenny Opera” has dialogue throughout, so don’t go expecting to be serenaded by non-stop music. It is a romance, a comedy, a drama and a satire all mixed together.
The show tells the story of Macheath, a criminal in London. He marries Polly Peachum after having known her for only five days. Polly’s mother and father, Jonathon and Celia, are displeased with Polly and vow to see the end of this marriage. Since Jonathon runs the London “Beggar Business,” he has many connections, including with one of Mack’s former lovers, a prostitute. Peachum has much of London’s lower class on his side, but Macheath has his ring of criminals and, shockingly, the London Chief of Police helping him. A humorous dance ensues with Mack trying to steer clear of execution for his crimes and Peachum doing all within his power to bring his son-in-law to the gallows. With a confounding plot twist in the last minutes, “Threepenny’s” story line does not stop with the surprises.
Although the play is set in 19th-century England, iPads were used. The mixture of the modern and the old-fashioned provided different insights from the original 1928 opening in Berlin. The dark set and clothing also give a good sense of place.
The “special effects” were some of my favorite parts of the U’s rendition of “The Threepenny Opera.” My favorite effect happened during the opening song, as a stabbed man fell slowly down the steep stairs of the set with red cloth spilling out of his jacket to depict blood — a perfect opener for this dark comedy.
“The Threepenny Opera” runs November 7-23, Thursday through Sunday at 7:30 p.m. There will also be matinee performances on November 15, 16, 22 and 23 at 2 p.m. U students are admitted free with their UCards.
@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]