Concert series brings back Beethoven’s classics

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Sunday night saw the continuation of a new concert series highlighting Beethoven’s famous sonatas and featuring Vedrana Subotic at Libby Gardner Hall. Subotic is an associate professor in the U’s Music Department and an internationally acclaimed pianist. This concert follows three that took place in the spring of 2014 and are part of what Subotic plans on being a three-year project where she will play all 56 chamber pieces that Beethoven wrote for piano.
A sonata is a piece of music performed on an instrument and tends to involve a series of movements that alternate between different speeds and unfold into a dramatic showcase of music. Libby Gardner Hall is a perfect venue to showcase these dynamic piano sonatas. With its beautiful modern design, mixed with some classic pipe organ, the tone was immediately set.
I loved the music. Although I enjoy today’s pop culture hits, it’s always great to get back to the classics and see what we’ve evolved from. But good music doesn’t necessarily mean a good performance. Luckily, Sunday night nailed both fronts. Each of the pieces, from adagio to allegro, were full of life and passion. I advise potential audience members to sit on the left side of the hall. Then you will be able to see Subotic’s hands as they fly across the piano with the precision that comes from a lifetime of practice. It’s also amazing to see the rhythm of her hands in comparison to her feet on the pedals. Often not in sync at all, each beat, movement and sound was perfectly placed and was so entirely natural that my mind was blown, considering I can’t even clap my hands and stomp at the same time in a rhythm.
The entire performance presented three different sonatas in just over an hour. Each had an entirely different feel than the previous. My favorite was an adagio near the end of the night. It was a softer piece interlaced with loud imposing notes at different intervals that brightened everything up and kept it exciting. Considering that I was attending having only had 8 hours of sleep for the entire weekend, I was impressed at how captivating a classical concert can be — it’s something you need to see to believe.
As this is a concert series, look for the continuation of Beethoven’s sonatas. Future concert dates are Feb. 8, March 29 and April 26. Future performances include another solo and two collaborative concerts. Each will be held at 7 p.m. in Libby Gardner Hall at the bottom of President’s Circle.
@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]