Losing streak continues in Pac-12 play for Utes

--Erin Burns

When the Utes went up against Colorado on Sunday, they had high expectations after pushing the Buffaloes to overtime in Boulder earlier in the week. Unfortunately for Utah, the day ended with one of the worst losses this season with a score of 73-54.

The game was tied in the second half until Colorado went on a 25-8 run that was just too much for Utah to recover from. The Utes have now lost six straight games to open up their Pac-12 conference play — not exactly the way the team planned on starting its conference games.

“It’s hard for young people, it wears on you to go through the stuff that we’ve gone through,” Utes coach Anthony Levrets said.

With plenty of basketball left to play, Utah is looking to rebound from the rough conference start.

“We’re going to find out a lot about who we are during this stretch as competitors,” said Levrets.

Utah not 100 percent

“We’re a disaster physically, we are a mess illness-wise, we have been beat up, beat up and beat up,” Levrets said.

The Utes are simply not healthy. Sophomore Paige Crozon is just one of the Utes not playing at full strength after taking a hard screen in the previous Colorado game. She didn’t practice all week due to a neck injury, but Crozon suited up for the rematch against the Buffaloes on Sunday, despite Levrets not counting on her to play at all.

“Its just been physically draining,” said Dani Rodriguez regarding the teams’ injuries.

Rodriguez has also been injured but still is fighting to help her team.

“I’m really proud of Dani. She’s doing everything she can to lead the team,” Levrets said.

Wicijowski can’t do it all alone

Forward Taryn Wicijowski had an uncommonly quiet weekend. After going 10-for-15 for 29 points in the first meeting against Colorado, she shot only five times and finished the game with just six points on Sunday. Clearly, the Buffaloes figured something out from their first meeting against Utah.

That said, the Utes need to learn how to adjust when defenses clamp down on Wicijowski. They also need to have consistent scoring when Wicijowski isn’t having her best day. Rodriguez took on that role against Colorado.

“I have to be more aggressive every game, somebody has to take over, somebody has to step up, tonight I feel like that was my role” Rodriguez said.

@brock_jensen02