U’s coaching staff announces a new lineup

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]With Kalani Sitake and Dave Christensen both leaving for greener pastures at the conclusion of the season, the Utes were left to fill both their offensive and defensive coordinator positions.

RELATED: WHITTINGHAM’S CLOSE-TO-HOME STAFF HURTS PROGRAM

On Monday, the search for new coaches ended. Utah announced the addition of two coaches, as well as the promotion of four others, to fill the coaching vacancies. Here are the results:

Assistant head coach/running backs coach: Dennis Erickson

This will be Erickson’s third season with Utah, and will be his third different coaching position. He was first co-offensive coordinator, before moving to running backs coach a season ago.

Defensive coordinator/defensive line coach: John Pease

Univerisity of Utah Football
—Courtesy of Tom Smart/University of Utah Sports Information

Pease’s ties with the Utes go back to his playing days in the 1960s, when he was a member of Utah’s 1964 Liberty Bowl winning team. This will be his fourth coaching stint with the Utes, the most recent being from 2009-2010 when he was the defensive line coach — he retired after the 2010 season. Pease has nearly 20 years of NFL coaching experience on his résumé.

Co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach: Aaron Roderick

Roderick has been on Whittingham’s staff since 2005 and was the Utes’ quarterback coach in 2014. Roderick will be the passing game coordinator.

Co-offensive coordinator/ offensive line coach: Jim Harding

Harding joined the Utes last season as the offensive line coach. He followed Christensen over from Wyoming, and now will replace him as coordinator. Harding served as a co-offensive coordinator in 2013 with Wyoming. He will be the run game coordinator.

Linebackers coach: Justin Ena

football Ena.jpg
— Courtesy of Robert Casey, Weber State University

Ena comes to Utah from Weber State, where he served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for the Wildcats. Before his time in Ogden, he spent six seasons with SUU, where he was the defensive coordinator in his last four seasons with the Thunderbirds.

Special teams coordinator: Morgan Scalley

Scalley will remain the safeties coach, but will add special teams coordinator to his job description next season.

@millerjryan[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]