Men’s hoops: Bachynski and Wright are in for emotional Senior Night

It’s a revenge game, it will help decide the Pac-12 title, students are camping outside the Huntsman – the list can go on and on. There is no shortage of storylines heading into “the rematch” between No. 13 Utah and No. 7 Arizona, but one that has occupied the back burner is that Saturday night will also serve as “Senior Night.”

LATEST HEADLINE: REFEREES RUINED THE PAC-12 “GAME OF THE YEAR”

delon - stanford.jpg
— Cole Tan

Utah big man Dallin Bachynski has been in the Utah program for three season now, and he can’t fathom the idea that he will be playing in his final game in the confines of the Huntsman Center come Saturday night.

“I’m trying not to think about it too much,” Bachynski said. “It’s another game against a great team, thats how I think about it.”

Now, hearing those comments would make Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak smile a bit, but it would be hard for any person to head into a final home game without being emotional. Throw in the fact that this game has so much riding on the line, and this contest might be the ultimate emotional rollercoaster for Bachynski and his family.

Bachynski has been in the program for three seasons after playing a season at SUU and serving an LDS mission, and is a well-known figure in the Salt Lake community. However, the seven footer has come a long way since joining this Utah program.

“I know I’ve improved as a player and as a person, and my mental game has improved dramatically,” Bachynski said. “I think that after this year, when I play in Europe or wherever I play, I’ll have to give a lot of the credit to the coaching staff and program here.”

While Bachynski has been looking overseas after his Utah career concludes, the other Utah senior Delon Wright, is on a sure-fire path to the NBA. Despite only donning the Ute uniform for only two seasons, Wright will also be playing in his final home game against the Wildcats.

Looking back on his time in the Beehive State, Wright can’t believe how far he has come.

“I went from walking around, nobody knowing who I am, to people saying hi to me and asking for pictures,” Wright said of his time on campus. “My two years here have been crazy playing in front of this Huntsman crowd, and I’m gonna miss it.”

Wright will also have family in the crowd when the Utes take it to the hardwood, as both of his parents, Ray and Stacy, are in town to catch this one.

Additionally, another family member of Wright’s plans on making the trip and basketball fans might recognize this one a little bit more. When asked if his brother and NBA player, Dorell, would watch the game on television, Delon said that Dorell was going to try and make it to witness it in person.

After tweeting out that there was the possibility that Dorell would make the game, Dorell replied to the tweet on his official Twitter account saying, “I’m in there,” referring to him being in the Huntsman Center in the flesh.

Saturday’s night game is sure to be an emotional one. Between the opportunity to stay alive in the Pac-12 title race and playing in their final home games in front of their families, Delon says that they will have no problem getting up for this one.

“We won’t have an issue with not having energy in this game,” Delon Wright said. “Everybody’s gonna be juiced up, the crowd will be juiced up. It’s gonna be a real fun environment.”

@GriffDoug