Grand Kerfuffle to Bring Country Music to the U

(Daily Utah Chronicle file photo)
(Daily Utah Chronicle file photo)

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

(Daily Utah Chronicle file photo)
(Daily Utah Chronicle file photo of 2014 Grand Kerfuffle with Hoodie Allen)

ASUU announced country singer and American Idol winner Scotty McCreery as the headliner for this year’s Grand Kerfuffle on April 24.

[U RANKED NUMBER ONE IN VIDEO GAME DESIGN]

The announcement was met with mixed reactions on social media. On Instagram, Braxton Dutson, a master’s student in social work, commented, “Way to get some country at the U.”

On the other side of the spectrum, Joseph Malach, a finance major, responded, “Another disappointment.”

Tyler Wilkerson, a sophomore in mechanical engineering, has been to the Grand Kerfuffle but might not attend this year.

“It’s my personal preference,” Wilkerson said. “I don’t like country music and don’t want to sit through a country concert. Others who are more familiar with the genre might, but I don’t particularly see him as a huge country star.”

The performers opening for McCreery are Haley and Michaels and Erin O’Sullivan. Wilkerson said he doesn’t know anyone playing on the set list and can see the benefit of bringing in lesser-known artists. However, he would still prefer to see an artist he’s familiar with.

In the future, Wilkerson wants to see more artists who can get the crowd up and pumping.

“Wiz Khalifa came a few years ago. I wasn’t able to attend, though, but he gets a crowd going and creates a stir,” he said.

Shykell Ledford, a junior in communication, said people will be excited for the concert, regardless of who headlines.

“I think a ton of people will go because it is a fun time. When you’re with a ton of people, [the entertainment] doesn’t really matter … because people just have fun,” Ledford said.

McCreery is a certified platinum artist after his first album, “Clear as Day,” became a part of the Billboard’s top 20 country albums of the year in 2011. He will be promoting his most recently released album, “See You Tonight,” at the Grand Kerfuffle.

Students can pick up free tickets at the Union with their UCard. Tickets can also be purchased via SmithTix.com for $25.

@JulianneSkrivan[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]