Basketball: Wright takes home 2015 Bob Cousy Award

1534791_10152602085407587_143966435039321285_o.jpg

For most players, the offseason is a time to relax after the rigors of a college basketball season. But for Utah’s Delon Wright, it’s not that easy.

In addition to preparing for the NBA draft, regularly chucking up shot after shot in the on-campus Student Life Center, Wright keeps racking up national accolades. On Friday evening Wright, who was pivotal in the resurgence of Utah basketball these last two seasons, was named the 2015 Bob Cousy Award winner, which is annually given to the nation’s best point guard.

Wright beat out the likes of Pac-12 foe Arizona’s T.J. McConnell, Gonzaga’s West Coast Conference Player of the Year Kevin Pangos, early-season opponent in Wichita State’s Fred VanVleet and national champion and Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA tournament Tyus Jones.

This award just adds to the list of accolades Wright has garnered since the season ended. The point guard was also named to a number of All-American squads, including the coveted John R. Wooden All-American Team.

The soon-to-be NBA guard has left his mark on the Runnin’ Utes program, and this award just adds to his legacy. Wright helped the Utes to a 26-9 record this season, including a Sweet 16 berth where they lost to eventual national champion Duke. And in just two seasons in a Ute uniform, Wright ranks third all-time in Utah history in steals at the conclusion of his collegiate career.

With the NBA Draft nearing, Wright continues to work out and train to try improve his draft stock heading into May.

@GriffDoug