Saying Goodbye to London

This summer has been the scariest, busiest, craziest, most rewarding summer I have ever had. Sadly, like all great adventures, it must come to an end, but it is leaving me with treasured memories, new friends and the courage to start another adventure.

F. Scott Fitzgerald said, “I’m not sure what I’ll do, but well, I want to go places and see people. I want my mind to grow. I want to live where things happen on a big scale.” I found this quote during my first few days in London, and it seemed to fit perfectly with the reason why I traveled overseas this summer. I wanted to gain experience in the literary world, but I also wanted to have fun and immerse myself in a whole different culture. And well, I think I did it.

Every weekend was something new. I went from seeing Big Ben while riding an open-top double-decker bus to visiting the Royal Crescent in Bath. I soaked in the sun on Brighton Pier and on my birthday, rode the London Eye. On the Fourth of July, I celebrated by walking through a 1,900-something-year-old castle in Cardiff, Wales. Then, I watched the Eiffel Tower sparkle and strolled through the streets of Montmartre in Paris. I can’t forget the weekend I floated in a punting boat in Oxford then took a magical tour of the Harry Potter studios. And that’s not all.

I took pictures outside Buckingham Palace and walked across classic bridges including Blackfriars Bridge and the Millennium Bridge. One afternoon, I participated in the great Tour of London. I finally watched my favorite musical, “Wicked,” live, and I shopped at the Portobello Market in Notting Hill. All the while, I was still working 40 hour work weeks (which did not include my extra reading), attending career seminars and workshops and socializing with other interns in my program.

I can’t fully explain all the things that I’ve seen and done because so much has been crammed into two hectic months. I’ve done a year’s worth of experience and activities in just a short amount of time. To be honest, I’m exhausted! But I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

I thought I’d be ready to leave London and return to my everyday life, and a part of me is. But the other part knows how much I’ve grown and matured just by having this experience. I’ll miss London and the people I’ve met and worked and lived with. I’ll miss the everyday adventures. I’ll miss the culture. I’ll even miss navigating the Tube; never thought I’d say that.

Though I went through my bouts of homesickness and I missed the simple things in the U.S., like easy accessible garbage cans or toilets that flush correctly, this summer has been the best I have ever had. I’ve gained incredible work experience, remarkable connections and unforgettable relationships.

Writing this really does mean that my summer is coming to an end. It’s sad because there are a lot goodbyes I have to make, but it’s happy because each goodbye comes with a sweet memory.

So, goodbye London, thanks for the memories.

@ChronyArts