The Five Best Songs About Salt Lake

Salt Lake City may not seem like the most famous city in the world. It isn’t a global city. It’s never the focus of relatable Buzzfeed articles. There are few movies that take place there. But Salt Lake does have a surprising number of songs about it. Just Google “Songs about Salt Lake,” and you will find a lot of results. Here are five of the best ones.

Beach Boys – Salt Lake City

Perhaps the most enthusiastic view of Salt Lake City, this song has a fun and upbeat vibe. Lyrics include phrases with wonderfully specific references, such as “There’s a park near the city that all the kids dig – it’s Lagoon now.” Another classic line from the song describes the look of Salt Lakers: “And girl for girl, they’ve got the cutest of the Western States.” If you are from Salt Lake or even just in the city for school, this old-school song is a must for your iTunes library or Spotify playlist.

Johnny Mercer – I Lost My Sugar In Salt Lake City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1_Yp0fIdA

Another old-school song, “I Lost My Sugar In Salt Lake City” was written in the early 1940s. It has the bluesy sound popular at the time, and the lyrics tell a sad story. It’s about a man whose love was stolen from him in Salt Lake, with Mercer even saying at one point that “that city is a nemesis to me.” Anyone who has been less-than-lucky in their love life while in Salt Lake can relate to this song.

The Dwarves – Salt Lake City

This song by The Dwarves is the most tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Salt Lake. The chorus goes, “But there’s one thing I wouldn’t do, not even for you” before repeating “I’m not going to Salt Lake City” over and over. Various parts of the song reference famous aspects of Salt Lake. For example, the singer mentions The Osmonds because they’re from Salt Lake. This song is for anyone who has a sense of humor about this city and maybe even for people who may harbor a bit of resentment for it.

Band of Horses – The Great Salt Lake

This song may be less about the city itself and more about the lake that lends it its name, but it’s still worth listening to. This is a more mellow song. It’s perfect for relaxing days spent boating at a lake (even if it’s not that lake). Without specific references to Salt Lake City, it’s easy to play off, but its pleasant tune alone is a reason to give this song a listen.

The Osmonds – Utah

Though “Utah” may not be specifically about Salt Lake City, writing this list without including a song from the Osmonds would feel like cheating. It’s close to impossible to listen to this song without jumping up and dancing. The Osmonds bring their usual flair, with a catchy beat and plenty of trumpets, which gives it a swing. Anyone who was living outside of Utah for the summer can relate to the celebratory opening line of “I’m going back to Utah!”

• J

John PappasMar 21, 2019 at 8:13 am

Sal Tlay Siti should be number one on this list. About a young girl in Uganda who hears all about Salt Lake City and becomes convinced that the town is a paradise that holds the key to her salvation:
    http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/bookofmormonthe/saltlaykasiti.htm

• T

Tyler WilliamsJan 3, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Absolutely, It’s a crime that song is not on this list.

• T

Tyler WilliamsJan 3, 2022 at 12:10 pm

There is also a rap song by a SLC artist named “Pfunkk the last disciple” about Salt Lake City that is an “enthusiastic view” of the city. You can find him on Spotify.