Album Review: Slayer’s “Repentless” proves the band can still thrash

No band has attracted a fan base as insane and die hard as thrash-metal pioneers, Slayer. Known for their satanic imagery, Slayer has influenced almost every sub-genre of extreme metal there is.

“Repentless” is the first album not to feature primary songwriter and rhythm guitarist, Jeff Hanneman, who passed away in 2013 due to liver failure. Guitarist Gary Holt of Exodus fills in for him (although he did not contribute to any writing). It also marks the return of on and off drummer, Paul Bostaph, who replaces original drummer Dave Lombardo. The last Slayer album Bostaph was a part of, “God Hates Us All,” was also released on Sept. 11, 2001, 14 years earlier.

Many fans were worried that the band would not be able to live up to the high expectations set for their first album in six years. Their 11th album ultimately pays off, however, and is an excellent tribute to the late and great Hanneman.

It’s important to note that if you’re not a fan of Slayer, or even thrash metal, you probably won’t like this album. The loud, distorted guitars and shouted or screamed vocals paired with dark lyrics might put off listeners who are not used to this style, although the genre is not to be confused with emo or screamo.

The album starts with the short and slow instrumental, “Delusions of Saviour,” and then kicks into the title track. The songs play out like a classic Slayer track but with a fresh feel to it. “Take Control” has a slower tempo with frontman Tom Araya’s vocals; while the previous track had him shouting, this track has him almost singing in a much lower tone. This is how the rest of the middle part of the album feels.

“When The Stillness Comes”  is perhaps the closest thing to a ballad Slayer has ever created. It has a clean guitar intro with a dark tone that soon becomes distorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suixh_-oycw

“Chasing Death” may be an allusion to Hanneman, as the song deals with the dangers of falling into alcoholism.

“Implode” was the album’s first single released last year and was re-recorded on the recent album. It has a heavy metal start, it quickly transitions to a typical thrash sound.

“Atrocity Vendor” brings the album back up to pace and continues the faster tempos. The final track “Pride in Prejudice” has some cliche lyrics, but it still sounds powerful and raw.

Although this album does not come close to the genre-changing “Reign in Blood” it is still an excellent album for metal fans. Guitarist and primary song writer, Kerry King, has previously stated that this would sound like “another Slayer album,” and it does. But that’s not a bad thing. The band proves that even without Hanneman they can still write a solid album. There’s no filler on this album and I highly recommend it for thrash metal fans.