Mikayla Elmer Notches First Collegiate Goal

It’s been a long time coming, but the moment every soccer player works for has arrived for Utah junior Mikayla Elmer, who bagged her first college goal in a draw against Boise State on Friday night. Scoring goal No. 1 is a major accomplishment for any player and can help boost pride and confidence for themselves, as well as their teammates.

Elmer, a local Utah standout who has been with the Utes since 2014, when she transferred from Portland’s famed soccer program, was known for providing assists for the last year and a half she’s been with the program. But she is finally relieved to claim her first goal.

“It’s really exciting,” Elmer said after Tuesday’s training. “I’ve had a lot of assists since I’ve been here, but getting a goal is a lot different.”

Utah head coach Rich Manning was also happy for the forward and feels the goal will boost her confidence and help her be more consistent on the pitch.

“It will really help her confidence,” said Manning. “We had her out on the wing this season, and she’s been working really hard adjusting, so to see her get rewarded for the effort she’s been putting in was really pleasing.”

He also discussed the challenges that come with being a player like Elmer, who has skill but lacked physicality before this season.

“It’s not always a linear process for some players,” Manning said. “We’ve been talking for a few years since she came on board that she has to put some productivity at the end of her great passing and dribbling skills, and she did a great job doing that. I’ve seen some ups and downs with her, but overall, great improvement, and I’m just happy to see her get on the scoreboard on Friday.”

Consistency is also an overwhelming theme for the Utes as they look to get back to winning ways against in-state rivals Utah State. The Aggies, who scored five goals against Idaho State on Sunday, are looking to replicate their form against the Utes in Salt Lake City.

But Manning is aware of their high-producing offense, and his team is prepared to stop them.

“We’ve gone, and will go over, specific things about certain things and specific players on their team and what they like to do,” Manning said.

Even though Utah State might have some tricks up its sleeve, Manning believes that, like all the other great teams the Utes will play this season, the Aggies are one where they will learn new things to improve on going forward.

“We play very great teams this season,” Manning said. “We take every game the same and every day learn something from these teams that can help improve the team. It’s the normal thing for us.”

Though the Aggies have been doing a fine job putting the ball in the back of the net, the Utes have had the upper hand over the team from Logan in recent contests. The Utes are currently on a two-game winning streak against the Aggies, scoring six goals and shutting them out on both occasions.

Utah hopes it can make it three wins in a row, especially against Utah State, who Elmer considers to be a rival.

“All the schools in the state are rivals, but they aren’t the biggest one we have to worry about,” Elmer said.

With her first goal checked off the list, pressure will now be a factor with many wanting Elmer to keep scoring. But until then, she’s just happy to get that troublesome monkey off her back.

@chad_marquez