Veteran Support Center Moves Locations, Increasing Visitation

Veterans on campus now have a bigger and better space to fit their needs.

When the Veterans Support Center was founded in 2011, it was 400 square feet, tucked in a corner of the Union. Now located in Union 418, it’s a spacious 2,400 square feet, complete with a lounge, conference room, computer lab and multiple offices.

The center is a place for veterans to meet and interact with others who have lived through similar experiences and have a hard time relating to the general student population. The majority of veterans at the U are nontraditional students and have experiences that require different needs and attention. The space functions as an escape from the all-encompassing nature of college life, while offering a support system of people who speak the same language. Roger Perkins, director of the center, sees veterans as a sort of sub-culture.

“There’s a significant cultural component to the veterans community,” Perkins said.

The center offers resources to help ease the transition from active service to student life. Students can stop by for help on financial aid, or guidance on conflicts with faculty or staff.

The organization also focuses on providing resources for female veterans, as 25 percent of veterans on campus are women. Audra Thompson, executive secretary, came in as a student in 2011, and decided to work in the center to serve others who have gone through the things she has gone through.

“The most important thing we provide is a sense of community,” Thompson said.

Before the relocation, visitation was minuscule. Six to eight students constituted a good day for the center, but now, anywhere from 50 to 60 students will stop by.

@sarahnlegg