Ever Wondered Who’s Selling All those Wallets and Sunglasses in the Union?

The vendors in and around the Union building are available almost every day and offer everything from handmade jewelry to selfie sticks.

Near the entrance on the main level, or downstairs near Jamba Juice and outside, the Union has been offering space to a variety of vendors for at least 15 years.

Bill Johnson is usually set up either on the upper or lower level. He’s been selling in the Union for about six years and has “everything a student would need.” His tables display wallets, handbags, selfie sticks, earrings and watches, as well as gloves in the winter and sunglasses in the summer.

Before selling at the Union, Johnson worked in California colleges as a sign language interpreter. Now that he’s retired, he said he enjoys being around young people and selling them items they can use. Johnson can also put items on hold for students who are interested.

These stands offer purses and wallets that are 40 to 65 percent off compared to other locations, which makes them popular among U students. Sarah Burns, a sophomore in graphic design, said that the items have “good prices and are good quality.”

Although Burns hasn’t bought anything from Johnson’s table specifically, she has bought posters at a Union seller.

Karol Conrad, a member of the Union administration, said at the start of the year there are close to 50 vendors in the Union in a week. As the semester progresses, however, it slows down to about two a day.

@shellybrooke17