Students Improve Communication Skills through New Mentors Course

A new STEM Mentors course allows students to communicate scientific ideas with elementary school-aged children.

The course, GEO 3670, places U undergraduates in elementary school classrooms to co-teach and ultimately give lessons on their own. The primary goal is to improve the teaching skills of science majors so they can share their knowledge with the general public.

Interacting with children forces the students to dissect the concepts and start with the basics. Holly Godsey, director of student success and teacher development, said this can be a difficult concept to grasp.

“You really have to think hard … to figure out what the basic elements of the concept are,” she said.

stem 2

Godsey has observed students being “more reflective” when answering questions. They now use fewer technical terms and give answers clearly and concisely.

According to Erin Moulding, associate director for engagement, the children love having the students in the classroom and are able to relate to them more easily than to an older teacher.

“They just bring … a fresh set of ideas into the classroom,” Moulding said.

Students co-teach in grades four to six, but advisors hope to expand to middle schools in the future.

The course also includes student-led field trips which Godsey sees as a “first opportunity to run the whole show.” A trip to Red Butte Gardens has already taken place, and no less than five others are scheduled for the semester.

Students from a variety of departments signed up for the course, and collaborate at a weekly class session. This has brought different perspectives to the curriculum, helping students examine concepts from all angles.

Advisors hope to see an increase in enrollment as local schools become more interested. There was concern that students would have to double up in classrooms, but it worked out in the end with enough teachers participating in the program.

The idea for the course came after funding ended for a similar graduate program. Those previously involved felt it was important to continue improving communication skills and wanted to try it with a less experienced group.

Moulding said of the goals for the program, “We’re just hoping to leave them with the ability to improve their careers.”

@sarahnlegg