Recycle Rice-Eccles Initiative Encourages Students to Make Stadium Eco-Friendly

U students can wear red and go green at football games with the Recycle Rice-Eccles program.

Organized by the ASUU Sustainability Board, the initiative takes place before home games at the U. The group of volunteers gathers recyclable items, including aluminum, plastic and glass, around the stadium before it ends up in the trash.

This year there will be bicyclists going around to tailgating areas collecting the recyclables, as well as volunteers walking around with bags. The program was established in 2010 and is going into its sixth year.

Sawson Gholami, a junior in biology and economics who is involved with Recycle Rice-Eccles, said the program provides a learning opportunity for students to see how much material is collected.

“I have begun to think twice about what I choose to throw away,” Gholami said, after seeing the amount of waste for himself.

Ayrel Clark-Proffitt, campus engagement coordinator of the Sustainability Board, said the effort is especially important at athletic events because of the quantity of waste. Myron Wilson, deputy chief sustainability officer at the U, said the group of students work hard to collect the recyclable material from everyone attending the tailgating events and game.

Gholami said the ultimate goal is to make football games completely waste-free — something that other schools are already doing. He said any students interested in working towards this should contact the board to get involved.

“We would love to have their ideas and involvement,” Gholami said.

Students interested in participating in Recycle Rice-Eccles can apply online at asuu.utah.edu/recyclericeeccles.

Volunteers receive a free t-shirt and admission to the game.

@shellybrooke17