David Eccles School of Business’s EMBA Jumps Up in Rankings

The U’s Executive MBA program is in the top 100 in the world.

The Financial Times recently released rankings of business programs, placing the David Eccles School of Business’s Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA) at number 83 worldwide and 22 in the U.S.

Last year the U was ranked at 95 internationally and 30 nationally. According to The Financial Times website, the rankings are established with data from surveys of participating schools and of alumni who graduated in 2012. For schools to be ranked, 20 percent of alumni have to answer the survey.

Factors that influence placement are salaries, career progress, female students and faculty, international students, languages, faculty with doctorates and a Financial Times doctoral and research rank.

Brad Vierig, associate dean of executive programs, said there are many reasons why the U moved forward, including the strength of the faculty, which has increased with new hires. Another reason is the success of students post graduation.

“We’ve seen strong increase in salary of graduates,” Vierig said.

These rankings affect both current and future students. Vierig said the Financial Times list has an impact when people are looking for EMBA programs. Nicole Vallieres, associate director of the program, said higher rankings usually suggest a higher quality of education and faculty.

Students who are in the program now also are impacted.

“The value of their degree goes up,” Vierig said.

Vallieres, a graduate of the program, said it opened a new career door and gave her the chance to develop different skills. She called it a “phenomenal experience.”

The Executive MBA program is 48 credits and takes 21 months to complete. Classes meet every other week on Friday and Saturday. The program ends with an international 10-12 day field study trip to two destinations.

The class of 2015 saw an average work experience of 13 years and held 35 different degrees, according to the EMBA’s website.

Those interested in the program can attend the Executive MBA information luncheon on Friday, Oct. 30 from 12 to 1 p.m. The early submission deadline for Fall 2016 is Nov. 1.

@shellybrooke17