On the Range: Urban Rangers Program Provides Trail Protection and Education

Armed with mountain bikes, snacks and dog biscuits, the U’s urban rangers have set out to spread stewardship and trail etiquette to the public.

Since August, the Urban Rangers Program at the U has undertaken trail management on the 100-mile Bonneville Shoreline Trail. With seven rangers and more than 60 student volunteers, the program aims to perform trail maintenance, provide directions and educate the public on natural surroundings.

The program is funded by a grant from the National Park Service (NPS), which the U’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism won in June. It was formed as a pilot program, whose success could result in the formation of similar programs nationwide. The NPS also helped the U establish community partnerships with businesses, such as Black Diamond, Cotopaxi and Competitive Cyclist, who contribute funding, supplies and educational training to the program.

Before the rangers were cleared to begin their duties, they engaged in a day-long training seminar. The seminar provided information on the situations the rangers would encounter on the trail, including wildlife and public interaction.

Volunteers do not undergo training but shadow the rangers as they perform their duties. The primary purpose of the volunteers is to assist the rangers and to participate however much they feel comfortable.

While the rangers and volunteers aim to regulate the trail, they are not there to interrupt the public. Nate Furman, a professor in parks, recreation and tourism, sees the rangers’ purpose as encouraging positive trail interactions.

“They’re just trying to spread the stoke,” he said.

While the rangers will not force conversation with trail users, they welcome inquiries and are open to exchanges. Treats and dog biscuits are readily at hand for those in need of a pick-me-up as well.

Public interaction has been largely positive since the implementation of the program. Cole Anderson, a graduate research assistant in the U’s Department of Oncological Sciences, is an urban ranger and has not experienced any hostility on the trail.

“My favorite part is just seeing the excitement on a trail user’s face when you … introduce yourself and tell them what program you’re with,” he said.

With the looming onset of winter, the rangers will soon have to deal with snowfall. While Anderson believes mountain bikes will continue to suffice along the lower areas of the Shoreline Trail, snow at higher altitudes will pose a dilemma. Instead of investing in fatbikes, the program will likely continue patrols on foot.

Furman says “there’s fantastic momentum for this project.” The number of student volunteers is on the rise, and the Mayor’s Office has offered its support.

Organizers have considered expanding the program in coming semesters. The Jordan River Parkway is an option, and rangers may soon occupy its trails as well.

@sarahnlegg